Can Campag Record Triple Crankset match with 11sp Groupset?

buzzme84
buzzme84 Posts: 16
edited November 2014 in Workshop
i had an old stuff crankset - record triple
$_57.JPG

can the new althena 11spd triple groupset compatible with it ??

or any other latest groupset are compatible.

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    The new 11 speed groupsets are not strictly compatible with your 10 speed rings. Campag recommend buying new 11 speed rings for people wanting to use their 10 speed chainsets. Looking at the Internet, some people have got 11 speed systems to work with 10 speed rings but shifting performance is poor and the chain tends to fall off without a chain catcher.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I run 11 speed Athena shifters/rear mech on record 10 speed chainset with chorus 10 speed FD and Chorus 11 speed chain. Up shift is flawless. Down shift sometime messes up if it is under load at the time (chains got caught up in the rings somehow but easily sorted out by backing of the cadance and back pedal half a turn and then continue). Back of the pedal load though by the right ammount and downshifting is fine in fact perfect. Now I have got used to it I no longer have an issue. Never had the chain come of either. I can see how someone with less finesse could really make a mess of it and rip the rear mech of the hanger. Do you have finesse or are you ham fisted. If the later get an 11 speed triple chainset.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Mercia Man wrote:
    The new 11 speed groupsets are not strictly compatible with your 10 speed rings. Campag recommend buying new 11 speed rings for people wanting to use their 10 speed chainsets. Looking at the Internet, some people have got 11 speed systems to work with 10 speed rings but shifting performance is poor and the chain tends to fall off without a chain catcher.

That's a puzzling statement from Camapg - no surprise there! Why would putting 11sp rings on a10sp chainset improve things? I don't have the drawings and dimensions to hand, but typically on a 10sp chainset the rings were something like 0.4mm closer together than on the equivalent 9 speed. I'd expect the same between 11 and 10. This reduction is because the chain is thinner, and the front mech cages a little narrower. So changing might be a bit sloppier with an 10sp mech and 11sp chain on a 10sp chainset (as thecycleclinic has indicated, I'd guess his issues are due to the wider 10sp front mech cage)) - whatever the rings fitted, as it's the chainset spider that sets the gaps, and if anything 11sp rings would be thinner than 10 and exacerbate the problem!

So to the OP, yes it can be made to work, just get the set-up precise and don't change under heavy load or too quickly.
  • mercia_man
    This issue has been covered before on this and other forums. It may be that UK Campag expert Graeme from Velotech, who posts here as gfk-velo, will be along to comment.

After a quick search, I see that Graeme previously told forum users that 11 speed systems could be made to "work" on 10 speed chainsets but not as Campag intended. He said the narrower 11 speed chains could drop and jam between the teeth of 10 speed rings and "ride" along the top of the rings instead of engaging. I suspect the dodgy shifting would be even worse using a 10 speed triple chainset as owned by the OP. Unlike older Campag ergo levers which would work doubles or triples without issues, you have to get specific 11 speed triple levers nowadays.
  • mercia_man
    Thinking more on this, and looking what's available from Ribble and Wiggle, there's plenty of 10 speed triple Veloce and Centaur mechs and levers around which would work fine with the Record triple 10 speed chainset. You can also still get 10 speed Record and Chorus QS levers that are double/triple compatible, although I don't know if they are compatible with the latest 10 speed mechs.

Of course, as others have said, it's possible to make many combinations work. My tourer has a "Frankenstein" set up. Veloce circa 2002 levers, 9 speed Veloce 13-28 cassette, 9 speed Record chain, 9 speed Champ triple RD, 10 speed Centaur triple FD, Chorus left crank, Veloce triple chainset with TA 46 9/10 speed outer ring, Chorus 10 speed 39 middle ring from an old double chainset and TA 24 9/10 speed inner ring on a 1990s Athena cartridge bottom bracket. It shifts fine even though it lacks modern shaped chainring teeth and pick up pins. I do use a Dog Fang to avoid the risk of chain dropping off on change down to little ring. I also used this set up successfully with an old Victory triple chainset with very wide spacing for 6/7 speed.
  • thank you for all the info.
    it make me gonna look for the new crankset.