New jacket: rapha hardshell alternatives

gbr236
gbr236 Posts: 393
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi
i really like the rapha hardshell.
Extra large is loose and worry re flapping in the wind. Large just a little too tight esp upper chest/armpits
The softshell fits nicely in the large but I worry re water proofing.
Any alternatives similar quality?
Thanks

Comments

• stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Hard shell is a nice jacket but the most flexible choice is probably soft shell and a seperate rain jacket. Soft shell is fine in a quick shower but more than that and you need a waterproof. Hard shell is completely waterproof but not as breathable. I've both and the soft shell gets used a lot more.
  • nibby
    nibby Posts: 246
    I think the problem with these things is you have to have them for specific things.

I'm the same and currently thinking of the hardshell but it will only be for my early morning commutes in the winter when it's very cold and raining and I'm going to be taking it fairly easy or if I'm planning a day's ride and the conditions will be bad, again knowing that I will be taking things fairly steady.

For training/higher intensity rides I'm going to get probably a Castelli Alpha Jersey and have something like a Castelli Squadra in the back pocket if it starts to hammer it down.

I know I will get more use from the Alpha.

Also hoping both will get used for many years because of the quality.
  • nibby
    nibby Posts: 246
    Although I'm also hoping that both will make me actually ride more this winter!!

Also looking at suggestions to alternatives to the Rapha/Castelli - 110% need to work though, so dont mind paying the extra for this. I'm looking for long term so would think they will need to last me 5 or more years.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I have a hardshell and don't know if I'll ever get value out of it. Thing is that if I know it's going to be hammering down before I go out, I won't go out and I don't care what the event is! If it isn't raining, I reckon the hardshell is a bit of a boil in the bag jobbie - not enough breathability for a decent paced ride.

What I'm trying out at the moment is the Rapha Pro jacket which has a water resistant feel to it, supplemented by a wind jacket tucked in the back pocket for additional protection should the water works turn on. That's the sort of compromise I think I'll have to run with. Equally happy using the Assos airjack but it is a bit of a sponge when water gets chucked up onto it and with the wind jacket it all gets a bit too hot - more suited to cold winter dry days (like me!).

As the earlier poster, I suspect that the hardshell will earn its keep on the daily commute which a bit perverse given the amount it cost.

Peter