YT Capra - Frame Size (or recommendations on a 27.5" AM)

parkinpants
parkinpants Posts: 53
edited November 2014 in MTB buying advice
Evening..

I'm thinking about getting the YT Capra. Not sure about frame size though, and it's not so easy to test ride a YT unless you live in Germany.

I'm 185.5cm tall, 6 ft 1 inches. The sizing guide on YT site suggests:

Medium - 174 - 184
Large - 184 - 196 cm

So I just about scrape into the Large bracket.

For the last 10 years I've been riding a Medium entry level Specialized Rockhopper hardtail. I think I was borderline on the size guide then too, and I went for Medium rather than Large. I've always felt as though it's on the small side though, it has never felt comfortable climbing hills or even out of the saddle. Going downhill, however, maybe it makes up for it by being more nimble.

I know the easy answer is 'personal preference' but any advice appreciated, especially from anyone who is similar height and has the same bike. Alternatively I'm happy to hear any other recommendations on a 27.5" All Mountain bike between £3k and £4k GBP.

Comments

• Easily a large.

There is a big YT thread on Pinkbike that would be useful.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • Large without question. I rode a large last week and even though I'm only 5'9" I just about fit on it.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Large but do you really want to wait 6 months for a bike?
    Take a look at the Rose Unkle Jimbo 27.5. Not carbon but great value and a brilliant ride.
  • Christ. No, don't think I can wait 6 months. I was hoping 2 months. I've e-mailed them to check the waiting list.

The other one on my shortlist is the Canyon CF 9 EX.
  • rockmonkeysc
    YT can be a bit optimistic on delivery times. They quoted 12 weeks to a couple mates for the Tues Ltd and they both waited 7 months.
  • Their website says the Capra is in stock as of 18th Dec, the Canyon not until March 2015. I can wait until January no problem, March seems a long way away though.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Don't forget YT take your cash straight away whether they actually have the bike or not and they have no UK back up if you have problems.
  • YT can be a bit optimistic on delivery times. They quoted 12 weeks to a couple mates for the Tues Ltd and they both waited 7 months.

Got a number of friends with Capras and all arrived in the week they were due.
    Don't forget YT take your cash straight away whether they actually have the bike or not.

No they don't.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I thought YT take the payment straight away whether they ship the bike straight away or six months later. That was what my mates were so annoyed about with their bikes.
  • As Rick says they don't take payment straight away. You pay once the bike has cleared production. This may not have been the case initially I they took payment on ordering but I don't know. There is a rumour that putting payment across early speeds up the process with a few having received delivery a few weeks early but I think that is more down to models being made available due to cancellations or changes of model with other orders.

I gave The Capra a hard look but decided there were too many things I would swap out on the stock builds to make it worth while so ended up going with a Nomad frame and building up myself. I didn't like the colour of the Comp and the BOS suspension on the Pro was a put off in terms of having to live with it for servicing and warranty. If they offered a Frame only option then I probably would have gone for it.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • I gave The Capra a hard look but decided there were too many things I would swap out on the stock builds to make it worth while so ended up going with a Nomad frame and building up myself. I didn't like the colour of the Comp and the BOS suspension on the Pro was a put off in terms of having to live with it for servicing and warranty. If they offered a Frame only option then I probably would have gone for it.

I would have been exactly the same, I would have gone for the Pro, removed the suspension, wheels and brakes. Its a shame they did not offer the matte black pre production model as a frame only, I would have been very interested in it.
  • There wasn't much in it but I think my first choice would have been the Canyon Spectral 9 EX, but can I wait until March 18th?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Also worth considering this one if you're looking at German direct sales bikes.
    http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-un ... plate=true

Great value and unlike Canyon and YT they have a UK agent for support and they have demo bikes.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,620
    I thought YT take the payment straight away whether they ship the bike straight away or six months later. That was what my mates were so annoyed about with their bikes.
    They didn't take mine straight away. I had to pay at least 10 working days before the date YT gave for shipment - hardly unreasonable. You might be thinking of the annual December Limited Editions where you had to pay on the day of ordering and got the bike about 4 months later.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Also worth considering this one if you're looking at German direct sales bikes.
    http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-un ... plate=true

Great value and unlike Canyon and YT they have a UK agent for support and they have demo bikes.

I thought Canyon now have and agent in Richmond?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • rockmonkeysc
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    They didn't take mine straight away. I had to pay at least 10 working days before the date YT gave for shipment - hardly unreasonable. You might be thinking of the annual December Limited Editions where you had to pay on the day of ordering and got the bike about 4 months later.

Thats the ones. It was seven months though instead of four.