New tyres for my winter bike

Dippydog3
Dippydog3 Posts: 414
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
My new winter bike came with Specialized Roubaix Pro 700x30/32c tyres.

I have never used these before, but as they were bundled I thought I would give them a try. Very comfortable, and quick enough for what I want.

However, after a couple of punctures today I am thinking they are really perhpas not quite tough enough for my local roads. So I am looking for recommendations for a change.

The bike is ridden on winter roads, and the occasional firm gravel cycle track. So, nothing with big tread is needed.
And, I dont fancy Gatorskins.

Comments

• Vittoria Randonneur PRO 32, they are actually 29 once fitted... I ran two sets... around 8,000 miles thus far and only one screw managed to give me a flat. Highly recommended
    left the forum March 2023
  • Vittoria Randonneur PRO 32, they are actually 29 once fitted... I ran two sets... around 8,000 miles thus far and only one screw managed to give me a flat. Highly recommended
    Thanks. I had those on my hybrid and they seemed good. Didnt really think of them for the road bike, but they may fit the bill.
  • Dippydog3 wrote:
    Vittoria Randonneur PRO 32, they are actually 29 once fitted... I ran two sets... around 8,000 miles thus far and only one screw managed to give me a flat. Highly recommended
    Thanks. I had those on my hybrid and they seemed good. Didnt really think of them for the road bike, but they may fit the bill.

They are not the lightest tyres, but last year I nearly snatched a gold standard at the Etape Cymru on those... if they fit, they're the best winter tyres
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Schwalbe Duranos are very good winter tyres too
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    These look interesting, may give them a go this year.

http://road.cc/content/review/135369-pa ... king-tyres
  • I quite like the look of the Gravel Kings too. Seem durable, grippy, fast and relatively light. Has anyone tried them yet?
  • Unfortunately Gravel Kings stop at 28mm.
  • NaishTT wrote:
    I quite like the look of the Gravel Kings too. Seem durable, grippy, fast and relatively light. Has anyone tried them yet?

Not sure how the reviewer thinks he can tackle a bridleway with that tyre... it looks to me like a normal road tyre... if you want to go off road, you need something like this

DSC_3428.JPG

The name is also misleading... however, Panaracer tyres are generally very good and totally under-rated by the road enthusiasts
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    I like panaracer tyres and have used the mtb versions for a few years. When I bought a road bike last year the first thing I did was to swap the stock 23mm tyres for 25mm. I decide to try their road range so fitted a Panaracer Race Type D EVO2 on the rear, very pleased with it so far.
  • Just the other day I was looking at the Panaracer Gravel Kings, the 28c version is on my next to try list which led me on to the Gravel King 32c;

http://www.gravelbike.com/?p=3793
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Any idea where I can buy some gravel kings online. I aso have asksuim wheels, am I right in think that 28mm is the largest tyre they will take.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    Dowtcha wrote:
    Any idea where I can buy some gravel kings online. I aso have asksuim wheels, am I right in think that 28mm is the largest tyre they will take.

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/panaracer_ ... e-ID_63899
  • Dowtcha wrote:

Not sure about your sizing! I have 35cc on my Mavic Equipes and my winter bike. Just avoid high /low pressures. I run mine at 40-50 psi and I'm 80 kg. No problems for me so far.