Tyres

garry smith
garry smith Posts: 8
edited December 2014 in Road beginners
Hi Guys,

This is my 1st post. Im new to road biking and just bought a 2nd hand Boardman Team Carbon.

Im looking to change the stock tyres for something more durable/puncture resistant. Think im gonna go with the Conti Gatorskins but im not sure if i should stick to 23c or go for the 25c. Should i buy the 23s or 25s ???Is there much difference in speed ??? Ill only be doing dry miles

Thanks

Comments

• ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I would say definitely go for 25s. Roll just as well if not better than 23s. I've had Conit Gatorskins on my Audax bike for years and I find them a great tyre.
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    25's for me too.
    If you read about a bit, you might find a lot of folk are using 25's all year round.
    I've used Gatorskins without any major issues but I've read of others saying the wet grip wasn't as great.
    I'm still using my GP4000s 25's on my winter bike.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    edited November 2014
    If you're only doing dry miles, why go for sonething as tough - and with such a firm ride - as Gatorskins? They can be a bugger to get off and on when you have a puncture. Schwalbe Durano plus or GP 4 seasons are pretty good and easier to handle.

Edit: 25mm or even 28mm would be my choice.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I also use GP 4 seasons but only buy them in the sales. 23mm v 25mm is more down to personal preference than speed. I use 23mm more out of habit as they feel fine to me.
  • OK, thanks guys. Will deffo get the 25s
  • rafletcher wrote:
    If you're only doing dry miles, why go for sonething as tough - and with such a firm ride - as Gatorskins? They can be a bugger to get off and on when you have a puncture. Schwalbe Durano plus or GP 4 seasons are pretty good and easier to handle.

Edit: 25mm or even 28mm would be my choice.
    I picked the gatorskins as they seemed to get good reviews, and i wanted some tyres that hopefully wouldn't puncture as i dont want to be fixing punctures at the side of the road, if i can help it. Im new to road biking so not really clued up on tyre choices. May look into getting the Schwalbe Durano plus.
  • Some folks say Gatorskins aren't very grippy. I wouldn't know as I'm never going fast enough around corners to test that. They aren't the easiest to get on and off.
    I just out a pair of 4 seasons on mine. Rode over some glass yesterday and no worries.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Durano Plus are heavier than Gatorskins, which put me off them.
  • would you go for wire or folding ???
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Folding
  • I'm happy to recommend Gatorskins, been using them for a couple of years now. Just one puncture, and that was an intrepid sidewall thorn - the tread is hugely durable.

I will say of them however that you are buying something that is primarily bombproof, and - if my experience is anything to go by - moreso than is really necessary for reasonable road surfaces (though no Marathon Plus either). These are tyres for peace of mind, longevity and value for money, and they are very good in all of those respects; they aren't at all supple, and whilst I've never had any issues with grip, they aren't sticky either.

Up to you. If you fancy spending more, the GP4000s and 4 Seasons are very well liked around here.
  • Gatorskins are very "industrial" as are Schwalbe Durano plus both feel wooden, are heavy and have low levels of grip in my opinion. I would go for a Schwalbe Durano S these are folding, very grippy, have good puncture protection, are light and roll very nicely. I use these all year round and have only ever had one puncture in 2 years.
  • Michelin Pro 4 Endurance get my vote, having tried gatorskins. Nice ride, easy on. Fit & forget.
    Boardman 8.9 SLR - Summer
    Holdsworth La Quelda - Commuter
    Moda Intro - Winter
    Planet X Stealth - TT
  • I've just fitted the Conti 4 seasons too and I'm very pleased, they're smooth and very grippy. As a bonus, if you can't decide between 23s and 25s, they're more like a 24mm so best of both really.
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    i use gators and considered changing this off season but too many recommended sticking with them and to be fair i have never had any issues. i was using 25mm and these are 28s, comfort is certainly better, compared to my summer 4000s's they are certainly slower but thats to be expected
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • Thanks guys, a few more tyre suggestions to look at here. My bike is currently fitted with Conti Ultra Sport 23c. Not sure which to get now, lol.

The Conti 4000S II sound nice but a bit pricey
  • My recently bought first road bike came with Conti Ultra Sport too. I am literally in the exact same situation as you are. I'm caught up between the Gatorskins and the 4 Seasons. The 4 Seasons seem like a better all-round tyre, but I far prefer the price of Gatorskins and with the rave reviews they seem to get I think that will what I go with.
  • Anyone using the standard Conti Grand Prix tyres... http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... -12-46369/

Seem a bit less pricey than the 4000s and 4 seasons, would they be OK for just dry spring and summer use?

Can get them for £35 a pair, they should have better puncture protection than my current conti Ultra Sport, right?
  • Depends which Conti anti-puncture technology they have. they're black chili compound though which is very grippy. Reason a lot of people go for the 4 seasons is that they're made of a special rubber designed to stay soft and grippy in plummeting temp's so they should be the safest winter tyre.
  • Roux_guy wrote:
    Depends which Conti anti-puncture technology they have. they're black chili compound though which is very grippy. Reason a lot of people go for the 4 seasons is that they're made of a special rubber designed to stay soft and grippy in plummeting temp's so they should be the safest winter tyre.

they have the Poly-X Breaker, according to this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-gra ... ding-tyre/

EDIT... Ive just bought some folding Grand Prix 25c, £35 a pair from Ribble
  • fnb1
    fnb1 Posts: 591
    always found Gatorskins slippy in the wet, have now done 5000miles on Schwalbe Durano Performance and Performance plus on the rear, so far, bulletproof and still good feel and roll well although the performance plus is a little more 'wooden' than the Durano performance and both still come in at a reasonable weight given the protection they offer. Bit of web searching can usally pick them up for around £22 to £26 each
    fay ce que voudres
  • Sutton_Rider
    Sutton_Rider Posts: 493
    edited November 2014
    I've just taken off a pair of cheap 23 Kenda K191 and put a pair of 25 gatorskins on, but not been out yet. Are they really that slippy in the wet? :shock:
  • taon24
    taon24 Posts: 185
    The gatorskins are fine in the wet, they aren't particularly supple, so aren't as sticky as race/expensive tyres, but work fine enough in the wet and have far fewer punctures.
  • I also have a Boarman Team Carbon, and as soon as I got it in April this year I fitted Michelin Pro 4 Endurance which someone mentioned earlier. I do all my riding round country lanes, lately often in the dark. In all this time I have had one puncture (touch wood) and that was when I split an inner tube when I hit a pothole at speed. So I would recommend these tyres.

On my previous bike I had Continental GP4000's which were also great, although they perished on the sidewalks; no trace of anything like this with the Michelins.

The only question I have is why people seem to think they are going to get loads of punctures.
  • Sorry to hijack this thread but, I have seen rave reviews on the Vittoria Open Pave CGIII Clinchers, wanting to ask for them for Christmas, but can't find many real rider reviews, has anyone had any experience with them?
    'In want to ride my bicycle,
    I want to ride my bike.
    I want to ride my bicycle,
    I want to ride it where I like.'
  • Sorry to hijack this thread but, I have seen rave reviews on the Vittoria Open Pave CGIII Clinchers, wanting to ask for them for Christmas, but can't find many real rider reviews, has anyone had any experience with them?

They are fabulous sublime ride great grip look gorgeous on any bike (green stripe is pro look Roubaix classic) but the risk is because of the soft rubber and so they do cut easily. That said my first set which I used on 40 mile mixed country and town road commute all winter lasted as long as GP4ks but my latest set the rear cut after about 400 miles! I've replaced it though as Shiny Bikes have them for about £63 or so a pair just now and the ride quality is just so good I can't resist (going to stay of the cycle paths though!).
  • I've had Continental Gatorskins and found them very sketchy in the wet. I changed them for GP4S and found them a fantastic allround tyre but have just changed to Michelin Pro 4 Endurance which I think are a genuine bar raiser. There is little to choose between the Pro4 and the GP4S but the slightly improved comfort (larger volume of the Pro4 even though they are both a nominal 25mm - meaning I can knock 5-10 psi out of them without any reduction in rolling resistance) and even better wet grip (which always strikes me as strange when the Pro4 is bald and the GP4S has "tread") means that the Pro4 edge it.

Oh, and the fact that on list prices the Michelin is some £20 cheaper/tyre helps - although you'll find deals on the Conti which brings it down I've never found them within £10 of the Michelin.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Well, decided to go with the Vittoria Open Pave CGIII, used up a Christmas present to get them so I will let you know if it was worth it.
    'In want to ride my bicycle,
    I want to ride my bike.
    I want to ride my bicycle,
    I want to ride it where I like.'
  • Well, decided to go with the Vittoria Open Pave CGIII, used up a Christmas present to get them so I will let you know if it was worth it.

It will be worth it for the feeling and hope they last well, I've had sets that did

(But some that didn't)