Defy Advanced 1 2015 or Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6 105 2014

metalmonkey
metalmonkey Posts: 144
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
So out of the two bike, I have decided I'd like to have one of them now its just a choice of which one...

I mainly use my bike for fitness, hopefully club rides and hopefully sportive events. I am not even thinking about racing in anyway I just can't commit to anything like that. The main thing for me is comfort being able to ride a good distance, hopefully around 60-80 then further (Once I get fit) a ride eventually. I won't be commuting to work just not possible for me.

Also in terms of buying a bike I can't buy on any cycle scheme i'm freelance so sucks for me :(

My old bike was Spesh Allez Elite Carbon folks & seat post that the bike isn't right for me, doesn't fit me properly it isn't very comfy for me either. If it helps I am 168cm, short legs (29") and a long body

The brake disk seem like a great idea, what are other people's experience of using them?

The Giant bike is a much better spec then the Cannodale, you get a lot more for the money too, if the Cannondale wasn't on sale they the price would be the same. Which bike has the better frame?

I found the bike Cannondale at Evans cycles, they aren't the greatest to buy a bike from as I have already found out, th Giant Concept store seem a lot better to me and know what they are doing.

Any thoughts, advice would be great thanks.

Comments

• letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    You are going to get your typical response from the respective brand fanboys. You can only really judge by trying out both bikes and seeing what floats your boat. FWIW I own both a cannondale and a giant.
  • So what are thoughts? On either bike I know its subjective question, but would be good to have some input.

Also I found that Evans were slating the disk brakes as it would make the bike heavier, but myself I don't see than issues right now.
  • letap73
    So what are thoughts? On either bike I know its subjective question, but would be good to have some input.

Also I found that Evans were slating the disk brakes as it would make the bike heavier, but myself I don't see than issues right now.

Okay based on my subjective experience:

Giant Advanced Defy:
    Pros: Its a very comfortable ride - designed with the Mamil in mind (me for example). Its well made, the Shimano press fit bottom bracket is far less prone to creaks than BB30 or PF30. Handling characteristics are neutral.
    Cons: It does everything well which at times makes the bike a little boring.
    Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi mod:
    Pros: Handling is fantastic (Synapse is likely to be very good). Really thrilling to ride at times. Feels great when climbing.
    Cons: PF30 bottom bracket requires monitoring. It is not as well put together as the Giant - I have had issues with the headset and the braze on tab.

In conclusion for a short blast the Cannondale (does have a more expensive frame) is the better bike. The Giant is the better ride over longer distances (TBH the Synapse is designed for this as well). I do not think there is much in it.
  • letap73
    To add, great fan of disc brakes especially in the wet the extra mass is not an issue for me.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you have to ask between those two, I would say get the Giant.
    Sounds like you want the disc brakes too.

Remember there are two basic types of disc brake, and IMO/IME they are very different.
    I certainly won't be buying a cable disc brake bike again.
  • This is the bike;

http://www.giant-twickenham.co.uk/en-gb ... ifications

It does come with cable brakes, the Pro does come with Hydraulic brakes but that bike is a just under £1000 more spending that won't make a better rider so it seems a bit much to spend just get the hydraulic brake system.

What is the difference between the types of brakes? I do that disk brakes will just better all around. I found that the staff Evans just seem lack knowledge too.
  • letap73
    In my experience Mechanical Disk brakes (Hayes CX expert)perform better in the wet than rim brakes (Dura ace rim brakes). Addition bonus is that rims do not wear.
  • Anonymous
    My rim brakes (DA with Swissstop pads) are far better than my cable disc.
    Even if that is to do with set up (as some will say) then they are still better because I do not have to tit around with them.

Hydro are ultimately more powerful, but its the responsiveness and modulation (I think its called) that are its strengths IMO.
    Its much harder to stop a wheel at the hub than at the rim, and I just do not think cables are up to that.

Discs are great in cr4p weather though as you are not grinding away at the rim all the time.
    Depends what you are using it for mainly I guess. I don't go out much in the rain on my best bike so I am riding harder and appreciate the rim brakes most of the time I am on it.
    When its wet I ride accordingly so still do not find rim brakes an issue.........apart from the rim wear! :cry:

Just go for the one you like the look of if you cannot ride them first.
    Oh and make sure its not too big. Cannondales are huge IMO.
    It seems that you want the Giant, so just get it.

As in every bike shop, its who you speak to rather than the name above the door ;-)
  • I will just have the one bike, I don't see the point in having either bike and not using it because it wet, winter ect...

Also I will try both of them before I buy one, but yes I'm thinking that the Giant is the better bike for me. I just want to try the smallest frame in the Synapse before I decide, maybe in the future I can put better brakes on the bike too.

It is true about the shop, though I have found Evans not be as good in general, got my last road bike from them and despite it not being a good fit they didn't really seem to care, they are pushy which is a massive negative.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If possible test ride both bikes and see what you think. If you are heavier, need to stop quickly a lot or likely to ride in the wet a lot disc brakes perform a lot better than rim brakes. For most riders a few grams of extra weight makes no real difference as their weight problem is themselves (me included).

My wife's Synapse seems a decent well put together bike , the only upgrade was the rim brakes as the stock ones are very poor. Apart from that it rides well and is made for distance riding.
  • Anonymous
    I will just have the one bike, I don't see the point in having either bike and not using it because it wet, winter ect...

Also I will try both of them before I buy one, but yes I'm thinking that the Giant is the better bike for me. I just want to try the smallest frame in the Synapse before I decide, maybe in the future I can put better brakes on the bike too.

It is true about the shop, though I have found Evans not be as good in general, got my last road bike from them and despite it not being a good fit they didn't really seem to care, they are pushy which is a massive negative.

Disc brakes on road bikes are a very recent thing, so its not like rim are 'summer only'.
    Seems to me you just like the idea/look of the discs. Nothing wrong with that, but just admit it :wink:

My winter road bike has rim brakes too lol.
    Its only the deep winter/CX bike with discs and my next big upgrade is going to be putting hydraulic callipers on it as I hate the Shimano mechanical ones.

Some of the guys in my local Evans seem very different to the ones in yours, but I don't doubt what you are saying.
    Just ignore any pushiness, take their advice with a pinch of salt, use them to test ride the Cannondale, and buy the bike you like the best.
  • I rode the Defy Advanced 1 2015 yesterday and like it a lot, I'll probably be getting the 2 though as I'd rather save the £250 than go for Ultegra as there really isn't much difference between 105 5800 and Ultegra 6800. I'm probably going to for a Small frame, slam the stem and also go for a longer stem as I thought the standard length was very short.

I specifically want disc brakes on my bike so I wouldn't look at that Cannondale, but already mentioned is the unreliable BB30 that Cannondale use puts me off. I also test rode the bike at Giant St. Pauls and have to say the service was excellent. You get 3 years free servicing if you buy from them and I got the impression that they are really supported by Giant which should be good if there are any problems.
  • How tall are you going for the small frame? I had a look at their web site, they do bike fit too is that included when you buy a new bike? Sounds like a good bike shop.
  • I'm 5ft 9in so not that tall but I would have thought that the Medium would have been the best fit (especially given there is a Medium/Large slotted between the Medium and Large). However after looking at the geometry the reach barely changes with size but the stack changes a lot.

I got the impression that the fit was not included in buying a bike but that was from in-store not looking at the website (I'll have a look what that says later), a price of £150 was mentioned and it sounded like a very basic fit so only if it was free would I use it.

They are definitely miles ahead of the local Evans which I refuse to use now (although Evans Spitalfields I can't recommend enough).