Single ring - do I need a chain device??

prb007
prb007 Posts: 703
edited December 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
About to get a new bike... viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12999880

I already have a new Zee single ring chainset - am I better off running the stock Shimano ring (38T) plus chain device or swapping it to a N/W single ring set-up and ditch (or not actually buy in the first place), the chain device?
Anyone running 1 x 10 on a narrow/wide with no chain device?
Thoughts?
If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...

Comments

• Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Most people don't have any issues without the chain device, especially if they've got a clutch mech. Not run one myself yet but will be in the not too distant future
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Depends on where you ride ime, if your talking Llandeglaesque type trail centre then probably not, however if your partial to the odd off piste excursion then almost definitely yes (North Wales rider here). It seems narrow wide are not all their cracked up to be, I've seen a few reports of people dropping chains once their narrow wides begin to wear, even Sram suggest in certain circumstances a chain device might be needed in conjunction with their narrow/wide rings.

I run a double and bash on my Five along with a Gamut chain device, I decided it was the way to go after dropping my chain 3 times coming down the Llanberis path, I've not dropped a chain since and that was 2 years ago.

The only thing I would question is your choice of a single 38 ring, I think you may struggle on the climbs, I certainly would. Idealy you want to be running a 32 or as close to that as possible ( must try a 34 on mine) as that's what the bikes designed around, there's an interesting thread over on Singletrack with some nice diagrams that shows how well Orange bikes pedal in the 32t (its all to do with antisquat).

You mention 38t, does that mean your fitting a double crankset, just though I'd mention it as a triple will give you a better chainline?

Edit: scratch that^ just seen your other post it's a Zee with 36t, still think you'd be better off with a 34t though.

If it where mine I'd take a belt and braces approach and fit a 34t along with a chain retention device of some sort, I can't think of a reason not to.

Best of luck with the build.
  • prb007
    Cheers, Dirtydog...lots to digest there. Will check that article over at ST. Diolch...
  • I'd say not. I spent all day hammering round gisburn on my hardtail, I run a zee 36t ring up front with SRAM x5 9 speed on the rear, and I didn't drop a chain all day long, and I rode most of the black route stuff apart from the hope line. Can't see the point in coughing out on a narrow wide and a clutch mech after that
    2011 carrera fury
    2012 20" onza genesis trials bike
    2014 carrera virtuoso road bike
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yet my commuter wouldn't keep the chain on for love nor money, jumped off on almost every shift in the middle of the cassette.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • If it had a clutch mech, get a narrow wide and no chain device.
    if it doesnt have a clutch mech, you'll need a chain device
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    I'd say not. I spent all day hammering round gisburn on my hardtail

Never dropped the chain on my Maxlight either, my Orange however is a different kind of fruit.
  • prb007
    First ride today, one hour blip around Penhydd and Blue Scar...no issues thus far!
  • 2x10
    2x10 Posts: 79
    Im running 34 x 10 with an extender ring (42t) and a clutch rear mech, I started wih a chain device but took it off few months ago, all well so far. Riding Swinley/surrey hills.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Been on single ring (XX1) for about a year, no guide, never dropped the chain. A couple of friends have done on occasion, seems it varies.
  • Dirtydog11 wrote:
    I'd say not. I spent all day hammering round gisburn on my hardtail
    njee20 wrote:
    Been on single ring (XX1) for about a year, no guide, never dropped the chain. A couple of friends have done on occasion, seems it varies.

To contrast Dirtydog, since going single ring (superstar NW, one up 42t, X9 clutch mech) I've only dropped the chain once and that was at Gisburn (clumsily rattling down the rooty drop before the run through the woods with berms between the stone walls.)

On the other hand I've done "bigger rides" like Helvellyn and Nan bield with no problems at all.

I will be sticking with no device