"Chain Suck"?

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited November 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Fitted a new chain, cassette and jockey wheels to the Deore XT on my Cube Reaction Race. Since doing so, under pretty heavy load (steep slopes), I'm getting "chain suck" with the chain locking itself. I've only had this once before in the terrible mud of the Strathpuffer. Given it only does it under load, I'm not really sure what I'm looking for - the only thing I can think is that the RD isn't providing enough tension. Hints and tips would be greatly appreciated!
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    New chainring time.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    New chainring time.

Blimey - apart from the Puffer, I've hardly used the granny ring. The bike's main duty has been as a Highland winter commuter, shod with Ice Spiker Pros. In fact, the granny ring got used so infrequently, the FD often wouldn't do the shift if required to.

But, reading the blurb, it does make sense. I'll take a closer look at the tooth wear tomorrow.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Well, I don't have much of a reference but this doesn't look too bad to my uneducated eye

Ring.JPG
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Teeth are very asymmetric, I'd be changing it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cool - is my best bet to buy the full chainset?
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Shame you''ve already bought the chain and cassette. Woollyhatshop are doing complete drive train replacements for £80 (cranks, rings, bottom bracket, chain, cassette)
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Cool - is my best bet to buy the full chainset?

God, no. you can pick up a granny ring for about £5 normally. CRC regularly have some clearance offers...
  • jimothy78 wrote:
    Cool - is my best bet to buy the full chainset?

God, no. you can pick up a granny ring for about £5 normally. CRC regularly have some clearance offers...

I'm just thinking that the other rings will be dead too. That granny ring has done nothing compared to the other two.
  • Ouija wrote:
    Shame you''ve already bought the chain and cassette. Woollyhatshop are doing complete drive train replacements for £80 (cranks, rings, bottom bracket, chain, cassette)

Will the Deore rings fit the Deore XT - I guess so? I'll be needing another cassette, BB and chain in time
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    I know they fit the more expensive SLX so there is a good chance they'll fit Deore XT. Can always sell the crank arms to make back some money.
  • cooldad
    They fit.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Thanks folks - ordered