More front light options please

iPete
iPete Posts: 6,076
edited November 2014 in Commuting chat
I found myself tempted to buy a Hope 1 and realised I can't be bothered with running splitter cables (Hope 2 and District rear) when I have 2 bikes.

Must be USB chargeable with an internal battery, as good or better than a Hope 2, suitable for road use and have reasonable run times on low.

Having used Hope lights for 4 years now I'm not sure what brands to trust?
Looked at Knogg Blinders recently but always hear bad things about the straps and I'll be taking them on/off loads.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Exposure.

And there is a sale on them on SportPursuit.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I've just switched from Exposure to Lezyne, and finding the Lezynes way more reliable. Exposure have a lifetime warranty which must be costing them a fortune; each of my lights has to go back at least annually to have something replaced, and in the meantime they switch modes at will.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • i bought a Moon Mask and have been very pleased. Strap is simple and effective (very versatile) and claims 70 lumen and 8.5 hours run time which seems plausible plus has warning light and USB chargeable.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Philips saferide 80 thing.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • I just have two splitter cables...

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/34 ... 00901.html

You could even put another district 3 mount on the second bike:

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/34 ... clamp.html
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Have a new model Exposure Tracr on the front - great light. Very bright, super reliable, waterproof and I can hold it between my teeth for when I'm locking up the bike in the unlit garage! Would recommend the rear version too. Love the pulse setting as well. I get about three days use out of mine running about and hour and a half each day but I've not run either flat yet so could be a lot more.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • Daniel B wrote:
    Philips saferide 80 thing.

This. I love mine. Hocked my Lezyne Mega Drive, which was great. But this is perfect.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • iPete
    I should add, I already have 2x District rear lights, TraceR front and back and a Hope 2 :lol:

This really is a want over need purchase. Just something that takes away the need for loads of cables on the good bike that's small and powerful. Plus my Hope batteries keep on having technical problems which is irritating.
  • I just bought a Torchy BK500 for my commute http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/ small and light with an internal battery and runtime of 2+ hours on max (500 lumens) all for £50.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I'd go with Exposure. I had one with removable batteries that was unreliable and had to go back. Now have a Strada and a Joystick on the front with a Redeye and a TraceR on the back. Had most of them a couple of years and absolutely no problems with them. I like the pulse mode on them, even use the Joystick in daytime through the summer like that. The charge indicator in the power button works well.
    Not tried Lezyne but people speak highly of them, will know more if the one with my magazines ever turns up. Gabriel! :twisted: :wink:
  • iPete
    Cheers, Exposure Sirius Mk3 looks the part, have stuck it in the wishlist along with the Joystick mk9, could be useful as a helmet light.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I use a Strada on the front and a TraceR on the back with a Joystick 8 and Redeye on my helmet.

Expensive but effective.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Asprilla wrote:
    I use a Strada on the front and a TraceR on the back with a Joystick 8 and Redeye on my helmet.

Expensive but effective.
    Almost exactly my set up. Strada on pulse, except when in the park.
  • Exposure Race on the front. Excellent bit of kit, now in it's 4th or 5th year (not sure). Flashing mode in town, beam for country roads means you can actually see where you're going.

Exposure Blaze rear, on constant, plus a Lezyne Zecto in flashing mode on the backpack.

Lezyne Zecto front in the bag as a backup.

Not the cheapest solution - almost 2 weeks worth of train tickets in total.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,694
    Splitter

popular-front.jpg
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    I'd recommend the Cateye Volt300 - compact but with a decent amount of power (I use it on unlit country roads) and the 'hyperconstant' mode is great for round town (steady light on low power with high power flashes at the same time). Runtimes are great for the power - I use it for 1.5hrs per day in a variety of power modes and it can last 2 weeks between charges.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Another shout out for the Exposure Trace. Run 4 on my commuter. The switch to USB from the old style Flash/Flare has made a good light great. Also have a Lezyne Zecto drive but prefer the Trace(R).