Deore shifters with Tiagra deraillure (10 speed)

e143rw
e143rw Posts: 3
edited November 2014 in The workshop
Hi all, I'm a newbie in building bike, and new to this forum.
I would like to build a commuting bike (when I could source a frame) that resembles a semi-decent hybrid bike.
I would like 10 speed, so I'm looking for a Tiagra (RD4601) as RD, and a rapid shifter to control it. Could fellow bikers inform me whether a Deore (M591) 10 speed rapid-shifter be compatible? I wouldn't want to buy the components then find out their cable pulling distance doesn't match.

If you have comments regarding to the choice, do let me know too. Thanks

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    My 9 speed Tricross works the other way round - tiagra shifters and Deore rear mech - wouldn't think it's an issue. But why not just get a matched rear mech?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That won't work, MTB 10 speed is dynasis which is a different pull ratio (cable pull to dérailleur movement) to road 10 speed (which uses the same pull ratio as 9 speed road and MTB) you can get flat bar 10 speed shifters and there is a seller on ebay doing them all the time.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for the replies. The pull ratio mis-match is one of my doubts.
    the reason why I was after such config was because a Deore 10 speed flat-bar shifter is on sale.
    I'll look into a matching shifter.

By the way, how would I find pull ratio of different shifters and rear deraillures? for future references.

Thanks.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The manufacturers tell you (in cryptic ways), for example SRAMs 1:1, Shimano dynasis etc....

There is a reasonable range of flat bar 10 speed to suite, go to the Shimano techdocs subsite and the road options, although since they rejigger the website it's less useful at searching for options than it was but better at finding details on a particular item.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.