Dodgy ebay stems??

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
Has anyone tried these ludicrously light and cheap stems, direct from Taiwan? I've so far resisted "bargain" direct frames, carbon clinchers and handlebars but what can go wrong with an aluminium stem....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151206110285

There seems to be a few happy owners out there but I was hoping for some feedback from you lot:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 9&start=30

The company have a website which shows the stem as 87g in a smaller size and with titanium bolts:

http://www.kalloyuno.com/products/grade3.0-2-3.html

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Probably fine. The Deda Superleggaro is very similar but alot more expensive they may even be the same stem.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Probably fine. The Deda Superleggaro is very similar but alot more expensive they may even be the same stem.

I thought I had a real Razer Deathadder 2013 until drivers said they can't detect it. :roll: Knocked off or "cloned" stuff is everywhere. I was questioning whether they would make fake Schwalbe inner tubes at one point! Or those Cree LED's, would they actually even do fakes of those?!

This is why stuff thats £50 everywhere else is £35 on eBay!

Although yes it could just be that expensive stem at its wholesale price.

When you buy from eBay its like a guy off the street goes "Psssst, want a stem mate?" :mrgreen: Its cheap but...

I am annoyed about paying nearly £45 for my Ritchey adjustable stem a few months ago and now they are £25-£30 everywhere! Is it because its winter? :|
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Perhaps I'm being childish but Bi-King? That has a few connotations...
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    I crashed when a 3T Arx carbon stem of unknown provenance sheared off (big pot hole). For safety critical components I will never buy anything other than branded products, bought from known and reputable suppliers. If you don't know it's origins, don't fit it. Just not worth it.

Off topic, but I'd never buy a carbon stem of any description. At the bike show asked Deda why they didn't sell one. Their answer, "too dangerous".
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I would sooner have a Planet X Superlight stem at 139gm, they are on offer for £9.99 in 6 or 17 degree.
    I have one on one of the bikes now and only recently changed one on another of my bikes, good stems IME.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd not buy an unknown stem from China. As proto says - the stem is critical.
    Bottle cages - well thats a bit less risky.

Hang on - weren't you the one getting the super stiff (and heavy) stem and bar combo the other day ? Now you're going for light as a feather stems ? Make up your mind ?
  • Yes, I was toying with aero integrated bars but have decided the weight penalty is just too much. Of course I'll save even more weight if the stem shears and I knock all my teeth out....

On these though, I agree that fake stuff isn't a great idea as you've really got to wonder how reliable a manufacturer is if they're prepared to rip off someone else's brand name but what about this type of thing where they're not pretending to be anything other than their own? I guess it still boils down to the same thing though that there's no UK distributor who's terrified of being sued so might insist on quality control.

Has anyone got experience of "non-fake" directly bought stems like this?

PS - proto, sorry to hear about your crash.
  • cougie
    Unless you're an anorexic skinny mountain goat out to do battle in the high alps - you won't feel any benefit whatsoever from a lighter stem. The best benefit is a stem that looks a bit pretty.
  • And these one's are hideous with most people taking acetone to them to remove the labels....
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I bought a lightweight alu stem off ebay a few years ago. 99g for 110mm I think it was. Replaced it after 2 or 3 years with a carbon wrapped stem as wanted thing a bit more bling / stiff / longer (120mm). The alu stem is now on my brother's bike. Never had an issue with it, and that is after maybe 6 years.

For the record, I also have lightweight carbon forks and seatpost off ebay. Again, been running these for years without any problem. What I would say is that all of these have been from UK based distributors so slightly less risky then going direct to China I suppose.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    So the assumption that because someone in the UK buys a product from China, puts their sticker on it and doubles the price then it's become a safer product?
    I buy frames and components directly from China - never had any problems. Simply Googling around and looking on forums you'll find links to reputable sellers.
    Buy a dodgy-looking fake at a silly price and you've only got yourself to blame - there are plenty of reasonable-price unbranded product that come from the same factories that are sold OEM branded by many of the major brands
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • JoostG
    JoostG Posts: 189
    Monty Dog wrote:
    So the assumption that because someone in the UK buys a product from China, puts their sticker on it and doubles the price then it's become a safer product?
    I buy frames and components directly from China - never had any problems. Simply Googling around and looking on forums you'll find links to reputable sellers.
    Buy a dodgy-looking fake at a silly price and you've only got yourself to blame - there are plenty of reasonable-price unbranded product that come from the same factories that are sold OEM branded by many of the major brands

+1, I totally agree to that.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    A bike i bought had a knock off fake 3T stem. I noticed a crack where the steerer pinch bolts tighten. It may of been over tightened who knows but the chunk of material that broke off is not carbon. It just looks like resin. I still have it somewhere if anyone wants a pic?
  • cougie
    Monty Dog wrote:

I'd rather go with a reputable brand that puts their name to a product rather than buying an unknown bit of kit from an unknown supplier. Their reputation is at stake. If I was able find a reputable seller then thats a different matter - but for a cheap bit of kit - I'm probably not going to do a lot of research. (basically I'll pay extra for the brand to do my work for me)
  • deda zero one stem. £15.99 on ribble. joins the bars to the steerer, just like the other ones do
  • deda zero one stem. £15.99 on ribble. joins the bars to the steerer, just like the other ones do

Yes so for around the £15 mark you can get a 145g stem from the UK or 105g one from Taiwan. The same weight in the UK is roughly £80. Obviously neither 40g or £65 is worth injuring yourself for but if they are good quality and the seller can be relied upon (very big "If's") then it's a great deal.

Suppose that brings me back to my original question, has anyone seen these in action:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151206110285

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290964559132

Yes so for around the £15 mark you can get a 145g stem from the UK or 105g one from Taiwan. The same weight in the UK is roughly £80. Obviously neither 40g or £65 is worth injuring yourself for but if they are good quality and the seller can be relied upon (very big "If's") then it's a great deal.

so saving the weight of 6 1/2 two pence coins, or 1 1/2 espressos :shock:
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I'd go for planet x too - smiliar thing probably but the brand gives a bit more peice of mind.

There's this too, I think its a good company (know people who had MTB stuff from them): http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=48&p=1294&
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • cycleclinic
    edited November 2014
    You do know how the trade works don't you. Stems handlebars e.t.c fames too made in the china or Taiwan and then imported branded and sold for a markup to retailers who mark it up again. You can figure on a large jump in price at each stage in the chain making an £80 stem in the U.K for something that cost alot less from Taiwan.

The Deda Zero1 is a very good stem but the stem in ebay is a kalloy stem a noted manufacturer. The reports of stems cracking at pinch bolts is due most liekly to over tightening. These are light stems and must be fitted carefully. Overtighen a deda superleggaro stem and it might crack as well. The bars certainly do if mis fitted. Is that the bars fault? You do know that deda bars/stems and seatpost are made in China/taiwan possibly by Kalloy.

The point being in the trade I see past the brand.
  • Manc33
    I always think if you pay "decent money" for China stuff it can potentially be good. Or they just sell some high end item there you can't find in the UK. The cheapest china stuff is awful, like that £6 computer I got, it does all sorts, hell it even works, but its still junk, the buttons are horrible to press and so on. I would still rather use a Cateye or known brand and pay £30 for one, not £6.

Folks I'm getting some pedals from China soon and will report in. They actually weren't cheap, about £25. To replace my £17 Wellgo pedals from CRC. This time I paid more for China stuff lol. Thing is the new pedal looks perfect for me. They have AEST pedals as well (a top brand?) and those weren't that pricey, maybe fakes. The ones I am getting are super thin. Thinner than the AEST ones. :D

These days on eBay/China I assume everything is fake that is at a lower price. If you buy stuff that is an actual Chinese brand name, some of that stuff I reckon might be good. I mean like pedals with titanium axles and stuff, not cloned or faked, just a China brand but sort of better (they must be because they cost more and people are buying them at that higher price).
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    not used the stems but I have bought from the seller, the bi_king, who was fine.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Branded costs more but you can be sure the quality is OK. If you do some research and take a bit of a risk there are copies from China which can be fine. If you go for the very cheap they can potentially be very dangerous. China has plenty of cheap manufacturers with very low quality and little quality control often passing off cheap low quality goods as the real thing so be careful.
  • cycleclinic
    Sometimes the copies you talk of are not copies they are the real thing under a different brand.

Do not assume something is a copy it may not be. rebranding is a common thing and the manufacturer would sell the stems to you for you to brand as you see fit (they would do the branding for you as well for a fee). Thats how it works.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Manc33 wrote:
    Folks I'm getting some pedals from China soon and will report in. They actually weren't cheap, about £25. To replace my £17 Wellgo pedals from CRC. This time I paid more for China stuff lol. Thing is the new pedal looks perfect for me. They have AEST pedals as well (a top brand?) and those weren't that pricey, maybe fakes. The ones I am getting are super thin. Thinner than the AEST ones. :D

You recently had issues with a cheap, thin, knock-off carbon seatpost and now you're going for cheap, super thin pedals? I look forward to your next rant. :wink:
  • Manc33
    JamesEs wrote:
    Manc33 wrote:

You recently had issues with a cheap, thin, knock-off carbon seatpost and now you're going for cheap, super thin pedals? I look forward to your next rant. :wink:

The pedals are metal though so I just got them.

They sell thermos bike bottles on there lol, might get a couple but those are £11 each. Says it keeps stuff hot for 6 hours, 500ml. Imagine riding up Snake Pass and having a hot coffee with 3 sugars and loads of milk, where else are you gonna get it from. :lol:

They will be going into, you guessed it, CF bottle cages. £15 for 2 on eBay, from China of course. One of my bottle cages weighs 125g and those CF ones are 25g. ENOUGH.
  • cougie
    Or get a Tacx Tao and bear the weight penalty of an extra 7gr....

They do work though and hold bottles in really well.
  • Manc33 wrote:
    JamesEs wrote:
    Manc33 wrote:

The pedals are metal though so I just got them.

They sell thermos bike bottles on there lol, might get a couple but those are £11 each. Says it keeps stuff hot for 6 hours, 500ml. Imagine riding up Snake Pass and having a hot coffee with 3 sugars and loads of milk, where else are you gonna get it from. :lol:

They will be going into, you guessed it, CF bottle cages. £15 for 2 on eBay, from China of course. One of my bottle cages weighs 125g and those CF ones are 25g. ENOUGH.

You have a problem and the first step is admitting it.
  • i have a merida pro stem it weighs 127 grams the carbon one i was looking at on ebay must be made strong and comes in at 150 grams plus so no point only to shave off weight