Way Points?

miket-62
miket-62 Posts: 227
edited November 2014 in MTB general
Hello people :-)
I'm just getting back into my mountain biking and I was wondering if there was a bit of kit I could buy that would GPS "way-point" through a route someone else has done and recorded?
Know what I mean??
Stick summit on my handlebars and follow a prescribed route?
It would be well cool
Please say there is and its dead easy to use and dead cheap! :wink:

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I think the garmin units do that.

I use strava to track my rides which is a free smartphone app, not sure toucan follow other people rides though :/
  • miket-62
    Looks good (Strava)
    Can I get other peoples logged rides and put that into mine?
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Got an android or apple smartphone? Download the free Viewranger app and start hunting the web for other folks GPX routes (and there's enough of them out there). If you can follow a line on a map, you're onto a winner.

If the free-to-download open-source maps aren't good enough (and they usually are), VR can sell you the entire UK on OS 1:50k mapping for 90 quid. Or chunks the UK for a pittance.

Topeak sell and range of stuff for attaching your smartphone to your handlebars and making it waterproof.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • miket-62
    Now that sounds like a plan!!!
    Many thanks! :-)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    If you have Strava Premium you can download other people's routes, sure there are other ways around it. There's a one month free trial at the moment I think, so you could sign up then harvest as many routes as you can and cancel before you get charged!
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Another vote for viewranger - excellent bit of kit. You can create your own routes on their website (although I actually tend to use www.bikehike.co.uk, as I find it easier to use) or download someone else's and sync them to your phone to follow. After a ride, you can export your recorded GPS "track" and upload it into strava if you want a more detailed break-down of your ride.