Noob(ish) advice please? Crack? Frame farked?

ram_145
ram_145 Posts: 41
edited November 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi. Wonder if you kindly folk could offer some wisdom? I gave my 2013 Boardman Comp HT, a really good clean after long muddy ride yesterday...and found marks around the seatpost....which have kind of got me worried.....

http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/ram_145/library/

Can certainly feel them with a fingernail but when I've tried to apply any pressure they dont seem to open or flex at all.

Rear end on bike did feel loose when riding last, but I was on lower pressures than used to so put it down to that and pressed on, definitely did not have these marks last time cleaned bike down! Does this look like cracks/fractures starting to you guys?

Mostly ride bridleways/xc/roots/some rougher stuff but no jumps/drops - I'm just too old for that!!

Cheers folk - appreciate any wisdom / advice.... guess best not to ride it until checked over at lbs/halfords?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Hard to say. You could scratch of a bit of paint and see if the metal is OK. Or stick a small bright torch down the seat tube and see if you see any light on the outside. In a really dark room.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks. Good hint. Will try the light idea.
  • Looking at the pictures it looks to be movement in the weld, hence top and bottom marks.

I would take it back to Halfords.
    Cotic Soul
    Pearson Hanzo
    Airborne Zeppelin
  • Thanks guys. Feck....there goes planned long ride at weekend I guess. Thanks for thoughts, will see what shop says and hope can find receipts! Cheers.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The smooth weld effect on Boardman frames is created using filler. It's probably just movement between filler and metal. Worth taking it to a bike shop to get it looked at.
  • The nice chaps at halfords have confirmed cracked all the way through. Hairline but shot....thankfully am within warranty period so they are swapping the frame in the next week or so. Thanks for all hints and tips.