Riding a carbon in winter?

shoesmith81
shoesmith81 Posts: 6
edited December 2014 in Road beginners
I've just purchased a new carbon bike off a friend of mine.

He said it's best to store away until after the winter. Would you agree with that?

He also said that carbon bikes can be a bit dangerous in high winds.

I want to try and keep it in good condition but at the same time use it. What tips would you offer me on this?

Thanks
Rob

Comments

• Keep it dry at all costs. Carbon melts in water. :D
    It's a bike, it's designed to be ridden in all weather. Just look after it and ride carefully over wet leaves etc.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I want to try and keep it in good condition but at the same time use it. What tips would you offer me on this?

When it gets dirty - clean it.
  • you can ride it year round. just clean and oil it when its out in bad weather and you'll be fine.

never had a problem in high wind myself but guess your friend may referring to it being light or it having deep rimmed wheels which may cause a slight issue in crosswinds. ride sensibly and you'll be fine i'm sure
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Use it in the winter but as mentioned above give it a good clean on crappy days.
    Any bike can be dangerous in high winds it depends how you can handle the winds.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If its your only bike - then ride it in the winter (unless its icy obviously).

If the roads have been gritted - you need to clean the drivetrain well after it - just because salt will corrode the metal.

If you come off on the bike bike on slippy roads - chances are it will be fine - but if you have a cheaper bike - ride that in the winter and save the pretty one til spring.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    It's no different to any other bike, just up your maintenance during the wither months because salt corrodes and the grit destroys your drive chain.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    What tips would you offer me on this?

Best tip, don't ask that mate for advice :)
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    As others have said, be a bit more obsessive in your post ride clean and lube, but other than that just ride it.
    Insert bike here:
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    I think if it's your only bike then you have to ride it! But one think I would maybe do (in fact have done on my carbon frame) is get some helicopter tape and apply it to the front of the downtube. That way any stones chucked up will hopefully do less damage to the finish. I've also used it for a drive - side chainstay protector
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    What tips would you offer me on this?

Best tip, don't ask that mate for advice :)

This :D
  • I have an expensive carbon mtb. Believe it or not I've used it in mud and it still works.
  • I have several carbon windsurfing masts, try to keep them dry
    Don't think there is any problems
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    No problem riding a carbon bike in winter, if you have put good tyres on it and mudguards, as all sorts of muck and unseen potholes in wet and dark roads.
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    I have an expensive carbon mtb. Believe it or not I've used it in mud and it still works.

I don't believe it...