Advice for a Randonneur/Audax virgin

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited November 2014 in Commuting chat
Posting here as I don't usually post in the road section!

Overseas on business and a local cycling friend has persuaded (conned?) me into entering a 200Km Randonneur (similar to an Audax) this weekend, the most I've ever ridden before is just under 80m.

I'm fairly certain I can do the distance if I ride at my normal long distance pace (that is like a jog a pace I can maintain without feeling any more tired for a long time), I have some protein/energy bars and will take a good supply of fluids (the upside is that yesterdays max temp of 33C is forecast to drop to 28C by the weekend, the downside is that that is due to heavy rain and thunderstorms!). I will be on a Giant Roam Hybrid (the shop don't hire out road bikes) with my own saddle and carbon seatpost I've bought from the UK, I normally ride in Baggies over my lycra and will probably continue to do so (the baggies have pockets!) with a cycling T-shirt over the top and a hydration pack with tools/tubes and etc I have to carry all my fluids as getting 'safe' water in India can't be guaranteed. I'll see if the cycling shop has any energy gels as well.

So any other suggestions please?
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• I assume "80m" is 80 miles rather than 80 metres? :wink:

I think you've answered it yourself - pace yourself and pace yourself ruthlessly. Dunno if you have an HRM with you but that's a great way to do it. At no point push yourself unless you have absolutely no option. Take breaks and eat well. Not sure the baggies are a good idea (especially in those temps) but then I never wear them. If you're used to them and you don't boil the veg or get chaffing then maybe not so bad.

Most of all, enjoy it! Sounds like a fab thing to do
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I assume "80m" is 80 miles rather than 80 metres? :wink:
    Sure, but this is 200 kilomiles
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I think you will be fine with the riding, if you can do 80m then you have ironed out all the possible issues with techique inducing fatigue, long time on the bike inducing aches, poor setup, how to fuel and hydrate properly etc.

There will probably be points where you wish it was over already, but I am sure you can cycle through that and they will pass.

The biggest hurdle with a 200Km sometimes is the sheer amount of time it takes, especially at this time of year. An early start will be cold and dark, possibly icy or foggy and if you have to travel to the event your start will be even earlier. Similarly, the end will be in those conditions too, at a time when you are flagging and not as alert because you are tired at the end of the ride. Also, if it is raining, that can get to you after a while and even the best waterproofs may give in eventually... I wouldnt fancy one at this time of year personally - in the warmer/lighter months maybe!
  • apreading wrote:
    I think you will be fine with the riding, if you can do 80m then you have ironed out all the possible issues with techique inducing fatigue, long time on the bike inducing aches, poor setup, how to fuel and hydrate properly etc.

There will probably be points where you wish it was over already, but I am sure you can cycle through that and they will pass.

The biggest hurdle with a 200Km sometimes is the sheer amount of time it takes, especially at this time of year. An early start will be cold and dark, possibly icy or foggy and if you have to travel to the event your start will be even earlier. Similarly, the end will be in those conditions too, at a time when you are flagging and not as alert because you are tired at the end of the ride. Also, if it is raining, that can get to you after a while and even the best waterproofs may give in eventually... I wouldnt fancy one at this time of year personally - in the warmer/lighter months maybe!

yikes - is he in the Himalayas??? personally I would not want to even drive 200kms in India... have you checked the route as it could be seriously dangerous. Also can you really carry enough water... could you not buy some bottled water en-route?
  • apreading wrote:
    An early start will be cold and dark, possibly icy or foggy and if you have to travel to the event your start will be even earlier. Similarly, the end will be in those conditions too, at a time when you are flagging and not as alert because you are tired at the end of the ride. Also, if it is raining, that can get to you after a while and even the best waterproofs may give in eventually... I wouldnt fancy one at this time of year personally - in the warmer/lighter months maybe!

Did you miss that this is in India...?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • apreading
    Did you miss that this is in India...?

Ah - yes I did!
  • Biggest mistake I made in my first ever Audax was underestimating the elements - was in Feb and it rained / snowed most of the way round and my kit was woefully inadequate - suffered badly as my hands and feet went numb with the wet & cold. Make sure you have enough layers to be on the safe side!
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • PorlyWorly wrote:
    Biggest mistake I made in my first ever Audax was underestimating the elements - was in Feb and it rained / snowed most of the way round and my kit was woefully inadequate - suffered badly as my hands and feet went numb with the wet & cold. Make sure you have enough layers to be on the safe side!

At 28C, I'd be hoping to ride naked :wink:

Which reminds me - don't assume your cycling gear is good sun protection. I was a bit shocked to see very clear outline of my bib straps on my back (not a cool look at the beach) after my day on the Alpe.
  • The Rookie
    I've done a few longish rides out here including the 80 miles (when it rose to 35C which really slowed me down), it won't be icey, a little fog sometimes over rivers, the route is quite flat with only 800m total climb (climbs are hard here when it's hot as you overheat really fast so I'm used to pacing myself) with circa 200m of that over the last 20km on the outbound leg (so not exactly steep) but at least giving a nice start to the return leg!

Ride starts at 5am and will be right through the day.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, I'll report back in Sunday!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dhope wrote:
    I assume "80m" is 80 miles rather than 80 metres? :wink:
    Sure, but this is 200 kilomiles

I know people say "aim for the moon" but I'm not sure it should be taken literally....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • apreading
    Nice flat ride will help!

Will you be able to buy soft drinks or even beer on the ride if necessary? If not, and water is dodgy then that is a helluva lot of weight you will have to carry for enough water to cope with that heat for 200Km...
  • The Rookie
    I got through 3.5litres (carried) on the 80miler (on a mountain bike) I'll be able to get soft drinks, but salt loss through sweating is a risk, so will be setting out with 2.5 of Gatorade and whatever water I can squeeze in on top, if it rains a bit it will make life easier.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Can't you take powders and buy bottled water on route?
  • coriordan wrote:
    Can't you take powders and buy bottled water on route?

This. Have you ever had Gatorade? It's disgusting.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • The Rookie
    I can't guarantee getting safe bottle water on route, I usually use Gatorade (and quite like it, although I dilute it about 25% with bottled water) when riding out here. Too late to be sure of getting tabs or powders anyway (I use Zero tabs in the UK) anyway now, besides a Gatorade bottle will stay in a bottle cage, the bottled water bottles fall out!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Use the purchased bottles to top up your Gatorade bottle as and when you some more powder in?
  • The Rookie
    You missed the bit about not having any powder/tablet with me and not knowing where I can get some......
  • The Rookie
    Well abject failure time.....it was absolutely hammering it down with rain, on the 13km ride from hotel to the start I was soaked to the skin within a mile, my smart phone touch screen was plying up as it was damp so I got lost, made the start having picked up a pinch flat in an underwater pothole within 200m of the start, tube was un repairable, two more punctures, one fixed and then one not repairable as it was too close to the valve, both from glass, my riding partner also picked up 3 punctures which put him out.

It was so wet it was cold despite riding in temps of over 25C, worst big was riding through hub deep water in a dip that reeked of sewage, I must have held my breath with mouth closed for about 40 yards until the rain had washed any splashed water off!

Next one I can do is in February....."I'll be back"

I'll be taking about 5 spare tubes next time!