Armwarmers for cyclists arms!

jameses
jameses Posts: 653
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
I've finally got fed up with my old Gore windstopper armwarmers, which are far too large around the bicep and too short for my arms.

Any recommendations for inepensive (can't justify assos/rapha prices, sorry!) armwarmers that actually are actually designed for skinny arms?

Comments

• I have The same issue! I really like Funkier arm warmers. Inexpensive and fit my spindly arms.

http://www.merlincycles.com/funkier-the ... tAodqx8ATA
  • I can't get my arms in the bloody things (Gore that is). I have a similar problem with 3/4 bibs and knee warmers (Assos) - too tight around my calves.

I guess you should try Giordana or Castelli as their kit tends to come up tight
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I have long arms (struggle to buy long sleeve shirts as the arms are never long enough) and find the rapha arm warmers are good. Also got some planet x wool ones at national hc champs and they work well.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I've had the same problem with baggy arm warmers on my long and thin arms. Castelli Nanoflex are nice and tight for me in medium and plenty long enough. I'm 5ft 10in. They are not cheap but work and fit well and shed rain better than other arm warmers I've tried.
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    Castelli Nanoflex are superb.
  • PaulMon wrote:

I had the leg warmers and shorts and was thoroughly underwhelmed. The water resistance was incredibly short-lived
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    Prendas meraklon arm warmers are both cheap and slim tight fitting. I bought medium on the basis that 95% of the population are supposed to fit them, but suspect a large would have been better for length. I am 6 foot with long, but reasonably proportional arms. They are fine with long fingered gloves, but leave a bit of a gap with track mitts.

As I said though, they are cheap, so well worth a gamble. You can buy a pair and some of their excellent thermolite socks for only £15 the lot.
  • I have the same problem, I have been using some dhb ones from a few years ago that don't seem to be on their site now. I ordered some Castelli Thermoflex arm warmers yesterday after reading a few reviews/posts.
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    york_20kg_black_cast_iron_dumbbell_set_york_20kg_black_cast_iron_dumbbell_set__2000x2000.jpg

Try these. Boom gun show time!

I have DHB warmers and I find that on my arms they come up really well, but I would put myself at average build, 6 foot 80kg, so maybe avoid those?
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    +1 for the Prendas Meraklon armwarmers. They come out far more than my Castelli Nanoflex ones.
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    PaulMon wrote:

I had the leg warmers and shorts and was thoroughly underwhelmed. The water resistance was incredibly short-lived

Like any breathable waterproof garment the need to be re-proofed especially if they have been through the wash. However they still do a pretty good job at keeping arms and legs warm if not bone dry.

P
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    edited November 2014
    PaulMon wrote:
    PaulMon wrote:

Like any breathable waterproof garment the need to be re-proofed especially if they have been through the wash. However they still do a pretty good job at keeping arms and legs warm if not bone dry.

P

I'd thought the whole point of them was that they were treated with nano particles. If they need to be regularly retreated, that kinda defeats the point. As it happens, I firmly believe in staying warm rather than trying to stay dry but they were heavily discounted (55% off) so I thought I'd give them a try. They've become my kit of last resort.

ETA - I've just read in the RoadCC review that ironing them is meant to restore some of their water resistance.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I have some £3.99 ones from Planet-X - merino they are too, snug, long enough, and warm even when wet.
    Insert bike here:
  • I have some of these picked up from Decathlon last time I was in there:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-cycling- ... 15506.html

They stay up perfectly well on my pipe-cleaner arms.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Lancew wrote:
    york_20kg_black_cast_iron_dumbbell_set_york_20kg_black_cast_iron_dumbbell_set__2000x2000.jpg

Just make sure you do over a 1000
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    Alex222 wrote:
    Lancew wrote:

Just make sure you do over a 1000

Over 1000!!!
    e31.jpg
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    mpatts wrote:
    I have some £3.99 ones from Planet-X - merino they are too, snug, long enough, and warm even when wet.

+1 for this, and if they are too big, send them to me and I will get my wife to shrink them for you.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Sportful No Rain are pretty slim.
    Large are right up to my armpits pretty much but I doubt I would get my arms in the medium assuming they would be slimmer.
  • mcvw
    mcvw Posts: 270
    +2 for the Prendas arm-warmers. I'm 5'9" and consider my upper arms to be average and the large fits me just fine - I'll be testing them this w/e
    2016 Handsling Bikes A1R0
    2014 Giant Defy Composite 1
    On One 4560b
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    I'm a big fan of Defeet Armskins, so much more comfortable than the lycra arm warmers I used to use.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    I have some of these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-regulate-warm-arm-warmers/

I'm 5'9 with pretty long arms and the small are a perfect fit, more than long enough, so don't be worried about going down a size for a snug fit.
  • v-kit-arm-warmers_display.png
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    edited November 2014
    Prhymeate wrote:
    I have the same problem, I have been using some dhb ones from a few years ago that don't seem to be on their site now. I ordered some Castelli Thermoflex arm warmers yesterday after reading a few reviews/posts.

For what it's worth, mine arrived this morning. They haven't really solved my problem so I'll be returning them. I chose Large because I wanted to make sure they were long enough, but they still feel a bit short and although they'd probably stay up with the silicon gripper, they don't feel as secure as I'd like. Maybe I have freakishly long/thin arms because a lot of other people seem very keen on them from what I read online.

My arms are 55cm from my armpit to my wrist, on-one XL are 44cm, DeFeet XL are 47cm, Castelli XL are 47cm. I might try Pearl Izumi next, according to their size chart XL arm warmers are 66cm and XS are 58cm! I'm not sure if that can be right?? http://www.pearlizumi.co.uk/sizing
  • Another vote for Prendas...

I'm a skinny 6ft'r and the Prendas are fine for me.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    I'm 52cm armpit to wrist and the small DHB ones are more than long enough, in fact I have to pull them up really high or they wrinkle slightly.

I've just measured one, they're 48cm but when you pull them on they stretch significantly - once on my arm it was 55cm and still had a few wrinkles. The grippers are double sided too so they don't move at all.
  • Thanks for the info NorvernRob, I'll give the DHB warmers a try.