Anyone got an Orange Alpine 160?

prb007
prb007 Posts: 703
edited November 2014 in MTB buying advice
In the market for a new bike, managed to convince SWMBO that this is a good idea, and have a mate who works at an Orange dealership who will give me a good deal and 0% finance - the clincher for me as I'm on my arse financially at present after a property restoration/renovation.
My old Felt Compulsion is fecked and is getting more fecked with every ride tbh, so can anyone on here sway me to part with 3k for an ugly piece of alloy 'hand-crafted' in Halifax?
Always taken the pi$$ out of riding mates with Oranges (even though I owned an Orange hardtail, back in the day!).
Always hankered after a Yeti SB66, but lotto numbers not come up, so will have to settle for (a distant) second best...
Heart says Tangerine Orange with matching Fox 36's, but head will prob go for Pikes, Monarch+ and Reverb option, probably in Black or Silver...
So anyone got first-hand experience of living with a(preferably 2015) Alpine 160RS, 27.5??
If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    If you are skint can any Orange offer good value? Even on 0% I'm sure there's better stuff out there, budget?
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    on your arse financially and you want to get an orange on 0% finance, do you work for RBS :lol:
  • You can buy a Santa Cruz on 0% from Stif. I'm sure you'll still need to put up some form of deposit even with your mate as is the case with most 0% deals.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • Go to sunset bikes. I got mine from there on finance and also ask for some money off for a few services as you won't be able to take it into shop. Also ask them to throw in some free gear. That's what I did can't knock their service had a few warranty issues with my casette and rear hub but they collected parts at there cost replaced/ upgraded them foc. just an email/ phone call away for any help or info. 10/10
  • Its the 2014 custom alpine I have btw and it climbs excellently decends even better, she has taken all the abuse I've thrown at it in its stride. on average 4-8 hours minimum a week since September 2013. Still going strong only changes I've made is rear tyre and 1x10 conversion.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have ridden one. With a grand off it would be a good buy. Nice enough frame (if you don't care about the aesthetics) but terrible value full builds.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    What version of "on my arsê financially" involves having 3K to spend on a pushbike?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • prb007
    Rockmonkey - won't need a full build as I've managed to cobble together Saint brakes, Zee chainset and derailleur, SLX cassette and chain, SRAM XO shifter and assorted other bits over the last 9 months or so, from misc. online sales, eBay etc., therefore will not need to splash on full bike.
    Angus Young...I am on my arse but can get the £300 deposit by selling the Felt, and can stretch to £70 per month on 0% for 36 months. Having just spent 18 months essentially working my @rse off, I want to get back into the MTB, and my own bike is sh@gged and is essentially stopping me riding.
    Having three mates who's opinion I respect all singing the praises of Orange, the simplicity, reliability etc and reviews like those posted below, is swaying me toward the Alpine...
    http://enduro-mtb.com/en/project-unbrea ... ting-that/
  • Angus Young
    prb007 wrote:
    Angus Young...I am on my ars* but can get the £300 deposit by selling the Felt, and can stretch to £70 per month on 0% for 36 months. Having just spent 18 months essentially working my @rse off, I want to get back into the MTB, and my own bike is sh@gged and is essentially stopping me riding.

It's O.K. no need to explain. I just thought it was funny, in a 'first world problems' sort of way. :lol:
  • prb007
    prb007 wrote:
    Angus Young...I am on my ars* but can get the £300 deposit by selling the Felt, and can stretch to £70 per month on 0% for 36 months. Having just spent 18 months essentially working my @rse off, I want to get back into the MTB, and my own bike is sh@gged and is essentially stopping me riding.

It's O.K. no need to explain. I just thought it was funny, in a 'first world problems' sort of way. :lol:

I know, I know...to misquote Johnny Cash - I've been skinter, but I can't remember when!
    Nice Kona, btw...that Black & yellow colour scheme looks sweet - I do like a 'pretty' bike - which begs the question 'Why buy an Orange?!'
    Was thinking to go for the Tangerine Alpine 160 and upgrade to Fox 36's - just to have the Orange decals on the forks!!
    Just rewatched this Guy Martin vid and it restored my faith in the brand, though...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlIYEdRFQu4
  • Angus Young
    prb007 wrote:
    Nice Kona, btw...that Black & yellow colour scheme looks sweet - I do like a 'pretty' bike - which begs the question 'Why buy an Orange?!'
    Was thinking to go for the Tangerine Alpine 160 and upgrade to Fox 36's - just to have the Orange decals on the forks!!
    Just rewatched this Guy Martin vid and it restored my faith in the brand, though...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlIYEdRFQu4

Loving the Kona, it's a great ride.

Despite the gip Orange seem to get on the forums sometimes I'm amazed at how many I see at trail centres and the like. Very popular, so there must be something pretty good about them.

Guy Martin was at Llandegla when I was there a couple of Sundays back. Not sure if he was riding, just saw him at the cafe.
  • prb007
    prb007 wrote:
    Despite the gip Orange seem to get on the forums sometimes I'm amazed at how many I see at trail centres and the like. Very popular, so there must be something pretty good about them
    Guy Martin was at Llandegla when I was there a couple of Sundays back. Not sure if he was riding, just saw him at the cafe.

Three of my mates have 5's - all three of them are the wrong side of 80kgs, all over 6ft and all the wrong side of 40 - ditto for me, except I'm the wrong side of 100kgs, hence the choice of the Alpine - for the extra meat in the frame! :D
    Going to the dealer on Wed to touch, stroke, feel, drool etc and make final choice of colours/options etc...
  • Angus Young
    I've just noticed you're from Neath. I'm originally from Resolven, though I live in Wiltshire now.
  • prb007
    I've just noticed you're from Neath. I'm originally from Resolven, though I live in Wiltshire now.
    Good move! ;)
    The restoration I mentioned is a chapel in Oakwood, Pontrhydyfen...Afan on my doorstep :)
  • Angus Young
    prb007 wrote:
    Good move! ;)
    The restoration I mentioned is a chapel in Oakwood, Pontrhydyfen...Afan on my doorstep :)

Ah, interesting. I own a church/chapel in Pembroke that I'm going to be restoring/converting.
  • prb007
    Small world...
  • You need a compatible mech and shifter. I don't believe a Saint mech and a X0 shifter will play with each other due to different cable pull ratios.
  • prb007
    You need a compatible mech and shifter. I don't believe a Saint mech and a X0 shifter will play with each other due to different cable pull ratios.
    Ok...cheers for the heads up...thats another 40 quid for a Saint shifter!
  • rockmonkeysc
    Get an SLX or XT shifter. I made the mistake of buying a Saint shifter. No idea why it costs more ehen it does nothing than an SLX.
  • prb007
    Get an SLX or XT shifter. I made the mistake of buying a Saint shifter. No idea why it costs more ehen it does nothing than an SLX.

They're the same price at CRC at the the mo',

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod82455

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod83171
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Saint has two-way release, and you can also downshift two cogs at a time, which I find to be very usefull on quite uppy-downy trails.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Lewis A wrote:
    Saint has two-way release, and you can also downshift two cogs at a time, which I find to be very usefull on quite uppy-downy trails.

SLX also has two way release
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Ah, can you tell I've not used SLX? :lol:
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.