Met Wiggo today

shipley
shipley Posts: 549
edited November 2014 in Pro race
...in a boutique London hotel where the BBC were filming some background stuff for sports personality of the year.

He was waiting at a lift to go to his room and was asked for an autograph by one of our marketing girls. To my surprise he was utterly charming with her, so i held the lift for him while he personalised the autograph and we had a little chat about his career and I wished him luck in his track plans.

I'd gone off the bloke having read about his 'arrogant antics' and although it was a brief encounter it showed me how you can develop an opinion about someone via the media.

He seems to be a genuinely nice bloke.

I don't like his beard much, he is very tall, and bloody thin !!

Comments

• Selfie with Wiggo...?
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    Er no... I thought it a little crass to ask - and also though he might be rude to me in front of my customers !
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Wiggo is a legend, and I'd happily share a couple of bottles of vino with him. Top man.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • cgrenn
    cgrenn Posts: 206
    Hes now in an Anime cartoon.....

http://animatorexpo.com/hillclimbgirl/
  • CGRenn wrote:

Tried several times now and get to watch it on my iPad. Any clues anyone pls?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    johnboy183 wrote:
    CGRenn wrote:

Tried several times now and get to watch it on my iPad. Any clues anyone pls?
    You'll need to download and install an iPad compatible Flash player. (That's as far as my tech expertise goes though).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited November 2014
    Shipley wrote:
    I'd gone off the bloke having read about his 'arrogant antics' and although it was a brief encounter it showed me how you can develop an opinion about someone via the media.

He seems to be a genuinely nice bloke.

Well, a lesson might be to not form opinions about people based on the way you react to the media about them. But, the same goes for people who voice judgements on people they meet from a passing 'hello' and find the experience somehow negative, those judgements are mostly rubbish too.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Joelsim wrote:
    Wiggo is a legend, and I'd happily share a couple of bottles of vino with him. Top man.

He might find you tedious and boring though and not want to do the same with you.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    I still don't believe he won it and probably never will even though he did. :oops:

I bought a road bike the day before he won it (sheer coincidence). 8)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    mfin wrote:

Well, a lesson might be to not form opinions about people based on the way you react to the media about them. But, the same goes for people who voice judgements on people they meet from a passing 'hello' and find the experience somehow negative, those judgements are mostly rubbish too.

But if they have a brief encounter and find the experience positive then that's the right judgement?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    I don't think you can come to any real judgement based on just meeting someone.
    I spent 4 to 5 hours on the golf course with Prince Andrew. I was expecting it to be a bit heavy going but in reality it was a pleasant experience.
    He was relaxed, pleasant, humorous, polite and all round good company. Has that changed my opinion of him. No, not at all but at the actual experience of being with him was positive.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Dabber wrote:
    I spent 4 to 5 hours on the golf course with Prince Andrew. I was expecting it to be a bit heavy going but in reality it was a pleasant experience.
    He was relaxed, pleasant, humorous, polite and all round good company. Has that changed my opinion of him. No, not at all but at the actual experience of being with him was positive.
    You are either an international arms dealer or a caddy.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    RichN95 wrote:
    Dabber wrote:

Or an armed protection officer.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    andyp wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Dabber wrote:

Or an armed protection officer.

Or dogging
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • dabber
    :oops: :shock: :o:D:D:D

Actually, when I retired I did some caddying at a couple of rather upmarket golf courses. I went out with a lot of "interesting" people. Some famous, some captains of industry and some just plain rich. It was good fun and, with a few exceptions, the people I caddied for were pretty pleasant and good company to go round with. I think the dynamic here is that although these people may be quite powerful or respected in their own environment, many of them are pretty crap at golf so you see them at their weakest.
    Not true of Prince Andrew though... he plays golf pretty well.

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    They do say never meet your heroes.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    RichN95 wrote:
    Dabber wrote:
    Whichever one, then you need the Brass to get into Wentworth.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • dabber
    deejay wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Dabber wrote:
    Whichever one, then you need the Brass to get into Wentworth.

It wasn't Wentworth.

• ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    I used to caddy at Wentworth when I was a boy. I was my second job after I retired from my paper round. Apart from the afore mentioned pillars of commerce, I was almost picked once to caddy for Bernard Gallagher, but he chose someone else from the line up. However, I did once caddy in a pro-am containing Sir Douglas Bader and Henry Cooper.
    Half man, Half bike
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    Did Doug bring his dog along?
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    edited November 2014
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Did Doug bring his dog along?

I think you're thinking of Guy Gibson VC. He's tge one with the famously named dog.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Selfie with Wiggo...?
    14 months back(ish) was riding a c2c through the lake district, just stopped for a drink by hayeswater and a Sky team car drove past, Wiggo had window down and waved to us, a few miles further on we across the car parked up, once he'd finished getting changed ready for his recce ride for ToB, he was more than happy to have his piccie taken with us, asked us what we were doing etc, wished each other good luck and on our way.. nice bloke!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....