beema as-2000
mtb batteries lumen 2200

Any recommendations or suggestions?
Looking to spend not much more than £100

Thanks

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    The Beema got Best Value award in this months MBUK (Hope R4 won but that's £200).

The MagicShine MJ-880 has won a good few MBUK awards in the past too and is similar price to the Beema.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I've recently got a Maia MX2200 and I can't fault it so far. It's 2200 lumens so plenty bright enough for off road and the beam seams to cover a decent area as well. At £100 they're bang on budget and you get the backup of an actual shop as well compared to the Chinese lights you can get.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    The Maia looks good for the price

Did you get it from tweeks?
    How's the battery life holding up?
    The range isn't as important as I'll run it with a helmet mounted light too.. But it's mainly brightness in short to mid ranges and a wide(ish) beam

I did look at the magicshine but I can get the beema for £105 which seems basically the same
  • Use magicshine and excellent. May help you to know I lost front lens and a replacement was sent vey rapidly , excellent customer service .
  • Torchy BK 2200 2x XML-U2 for £89.99. Recommended UK seller. I've just got the cheaper Oriole, and very pleased with it.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    How do they determine these ratings? You can't trust what the box says on it, or advert (unless its from some company like the best of the best, that never lie, whoever they might be).

Is this like Hi-Fi speakers and "PMPO"? Some £99 ghetto blaster with "1,000 WATTS" plastered all over it... that turns out to be about 5W RMS per speaker. I mean a Chinese lumen isn't the same as a European lumen, you have to convert. :P Divide the China lumens by 10 and you have the true figure.

I'd tend to go for the LED itself, with the same model of LED - they all put out the same lumens anyway. All that determines its brightness then is shoving more battery power through it. There only seems to be one LED at the moment, that Cree U2 one. Its not the light, its the LED in the light. £125 lights use them, £25 lights use them.

If there's £25 lights as bright as £125 lights, folks...
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Manc33 wrote:
    How do they determine these ratings? You can't trust what the box says on it, or advert (unless its from some company like the best of the best, that never lie, whoever they might be).

Is this like Hi-Fi speakers and "PMPO"? Some £99 ghetto blaster with "1,000 WATTS" plastered all over it... that turns out to be about 5W RMS per speaker. I mean a Chinese lumen isn't the same as a European lumen, you have to convert. :P Divide the China lumens by 10 and you have the true figure.

I'd tend to go for the LED itself, with the same model of LED - they all put out the same lumens anyway. All that determines its brightness then is shoving more battery power through it. There only seems to be one LED at the moment, that Cree U2 one. Its not the light, its the LED in the light. £125 lights use them, £25 lights use them.

I think the name you were looking for was Cree XM-L or XM-L2 (the newer, brighter version). T6, U2, U3 are just the post production bin number (quality after testing) of the LED (a better formed U3 puts out more light than a regular T6 when you pump the same number of amps through it). But otherwise, yes, they are all a much of a muchness. It just comes down to the quality of the other stuff that determines price (battery packs, chargers, bar mounts, head mounts and the light casings and electronics themselves). Don't assume a £300 light is going to be brighter than a £30 light, it isn't. It'll just be better made with more quality peripheral components and packaging. But not always enough to justify the huge markup on price.
  • lawman
    ej2320 wrote:

The range isn't as important as I'll run it with a helmet mounted light too.. But it's mainly brightness in short to mid ranges and a wide(ish) beam

I did look at the magicshine but I can get the beema for £105 which seems basically the same

Yeah got it from Tweeks, battery life seems good, get about 2-3 hours out of mine on full power. They're certainly very bright!
  • ej2320
    edited November 2014
    lawman wrote:
    ej2320 wrote:

Yeah got it from Tweeks, battery life seems good, get about 2-3 hours out of mine on full power. They're certainly very bright!

that seems ideal.. what's the spread like?, it just looks like more of a spot light but the reflector on the inside helps I guess

I noticed the DX2000 for £90.. seems to have a longer battery life and possibly a wider beam based on the fact the two leds are further apart
  • ej2320
    Ouija wrote:
    Manc33 wrote:

I think the name you were looking for was Cree XM-L or XM-L2 (the newer, brighter version). T6, U2, U3 are just the post production bin number (quality after testing) of the LED (a better formed U3 puts out more light than a regular T6 when you pump the same number of amps through it). But otherwise, yes, they are all a much of a muchness. It just comes down to the quality of the other stuff that determines price (battery packs, chargers, bar mounts, head mounts and the light casings and electronics themselves). Don't assume a £300 light is going to be brighter than a £30 light, it isn't. It'll just be better made with more quality peripheral components and packaging. But not always enough to justify the huge markup on price.

Yeah I understand the lumens on the chinese models are often way higher than the actual output..
    I guess what I was saying when I want a light at roughly 2,000 lumens is I want quite a bright one, then I'm willing to pay more if it has a good battery pack and the light itself isn't poorly made and suspect to overheat or fall apart.
  • ej2320
    edited November 2014
    I've come to a shortlist

Beema AS-2000.. clearly the magazines liked it and it has a better output than the magicshine and is supposed to be better at cooling

Torchy BK2200.. not as bright on paper as the beema but cheaper and very similar

Maia MX or DX.. seem very similar with the MX brighter maybe

Or go all out and get the Fluxient 3x which has 3 x Cree L2 LEDs so is incredibly bright
  • ej2320
    Torchy BK 2200 2x XML-U2 for £89.99. Recommended UK seller. I've just got the cheaper Oriole, and very pleased with it.

what are the battery packs like?

the bk2200 is similar to the solar storm but it'd much rather pay the £90 for a quality battery pack and better made light
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Of course output depends on the driver too - the LED may be capable of 1000 lumens at 10W, but many throttle them back.
  • ej2320
    well this is more confusing than I thought.. I think I'll just have to go with one and hope it's good!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The market has exploded in the last 2 years - we see some good, some ugly and more bad. The reviews to specific models are more important than ever. Cell packs with the cheap stuff are getting worse.
  • ej2320
    Well all the ones I've shortlisted are reviewed at good light so I can't go too far wrong hopefully..
    I'll have a flick around other forums but I'm thinking of going for the beema on the basis it had a great review
  • lawman
    ej2320 wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    ej2320 wrote:

that seems ideal.. what's the spread like?, it just looks like more of a spot light but the reflector on the inside helps I guess

I noticed the DX2000 for £90.. seems to have a longer battery life and possibly a wider beam based on the fact the two leds are further apart

The spread is pretty good, I ride down a completely un-lit country lane on my commute and on full power my MX2200 offers a great field of light in front, there isn't much you can't see that's for sure! The DX2000 is a fair bit heavier and bulkier and does have a marginally wider spread but tbh I'd rather have the extra power and lower weight of the MX2200.
  • ej2320 wrote:
    Torchy BK 2200 2x XML-U2 for £89.99. Recommended UK seller. I've just got the cheaper Oriole, and very pleased with it.

what are the battery packs like?

the bk2200 is similar to the solar storm but it'd much rather pay the £90 for a quality battery pack and better made light

I don't know what the pack is like for the BK2200, as I have the cheaper Oriole light. But that battery pack lives up to the claims of 2.5 hours runtime on full brightness. Torchy is consistently recommended on bikeradar forums, and as a UK seller, with a "if you're not impresses, send it back for a full refund" guarantee, it all counts for a lot.

I've had a MTBBatteries light for three years (not one of those listed ^^^) ... that's been great too and Mark (the owner) offers excellent customer service. Having had a poor experience with a DX light recently, and it taking nearly 2 months to sort out a refund, there's a lot to be said for a UK seller that is consistently recommended ...