Front Brake Issue - Caliper Jammed on One Side

Dizeee
Dizeee Posts: 337
edited November 2014 in Workshop
As some will know a puncture fix is about the extent of what I get involved with in terms of bike maintenance, anything else results in failure or more problems, plus I have zero patience. This refers to a basic Trek FX7 that lives outside with caliper brakes.

Today, I have taken my front wheel off the hybrid to deal with what I thought was a slow puncture. The wheel is not the issue, the issue is the same one with the front brake that happens EVERY SINGLE time I take the front wheel off, without fail. Prior to removing wheel I unclipped the hook and eye front brake caliper so the pads spring away and allow the wheel to release. I then replaced the wheel before connecting the hook and eye therefore rendering the brake working again. During the time the brake was disconnected and re connected nothing has been touched at all. It worked perfectly well before.

Low and behold, as is always the case, having reconnected the brake, on testing the brake applies firmly to the wheel, followed by one side failing to retract when the lever is released, leaving one side clamped on the wheel. I pull it away and centre the pads by hand, and the wheel runs freely until the next time the brake is applied, when the same side clamps on and does not retract at all. So I now can't use my front brake unless it is an emergency and then will have to reach down mid ride and reset it.

I have tried messing around with the adjuster by the lever and in the past I turned a screw on the side of one lever, I think I only ever managed to sort it once and that was by accident, not knowing what I had done.

Things happens every single time I do this and it ends up with me having to go to a bike shop, thus diminishing my merit in trying to fix something and re affirming my total lack of faith in mechanics.

Can someone please, once and for all just tell me:

WHY this problem happens and HOW I can fix it. I would be eternally grateful!

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    There first things I would check:

Is the brake block making nice square contact with the braking track on the rim or is it wedging against the tyre or under the rim?

Is the wheel fully seated in the dropouts?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I think you have Vs rather than calipers - but that makes everything easier.

As Des says the first thing I would check is that the wheel is back in properly - loosen the QR and make sure you're applying pressure downwards from the bars when you tighten it again.

If that's not it then you just have to adjust the tension screws on the brakes (but like you imply you shouldn't have to do that just because you unhooked the cable). Make sure the cable is seated back properly too - at the brake and also at the lever.

They work in opposition to each other - you tighten the screw on the side that is too close to the rim - or you can loosen the other side and it does the same thing. It's nice to have the tension fairly similar so doing a bit of both is often the right thing.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.