Five Tens

Dawesy92
Dawesy92 Posts: 606
edited November 2014 in MTB buying advice
So looking into getting some of these over the christmas period,
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/five ... prod118579

Anyone got them? Any one got any others that are worth a look? Fed up if riding in shitty trainers!

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Personally I always found Five Tens too grippy, but if you like the styling them I'm sure you'll be happy with them.

Prefer these myself, cheaper too...

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-2FO ... _72833.htm
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • I'd buy at least two pairs if you're planning on riding through the winter - you'll quickly learn why!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • I have some of them, very grippy but Christ they hold water! Takes ages to dry them out.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    The Specialized ones I linked to above are meant to dry pretty quickly according to reviews, but if riding in winter you'll soon find the saturation point of any shoe or trainer. It's just part of the experience :D
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    The new Five Tens don't hold water like the old ones, five days of drying was not uncommon.

Plus the new ones are a damn lot lighter.

Buy them from here sub £90. http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/fiveten- ... 82971.html
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Shimano AM41s. Can buy 2 pairs for the price of those Five Tens.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-am41-mtb-shoe-2015/rp-prod55371

Not very attractive granted, but the lace cover does a good job of protecting the lace, keeping the laces gunk free and stopping as much water running into the shoe.
    Very grippy and has a hard sole so that you can get the powerdown easily.
    I'm on my third pair - each one seems to last me the whole season, riding at least twice a week in all conditions.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • I've had the Shimano flats and (old style) Five Tens. For me, you can't have too much grip so I prefer the Five Tens.

I imagine the new ones are much better in that they shouldn't soak up as much water and take ages to dry out. I think their woned by Adidas or one of the big trainer companies now. Hence the new designs.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have had 5.10 and Shimano AM41's.
    I much prefer the Shimano's. More than enough grip, better suited to UK weather, harder wearing, more rigid sole for better pedal efficiency and much cheaper than 5.10s.
    The new 5.10 shoes do dry quicker than the old ones, on holiday this year the lads with 5.10 shoes were getting them dried in under 3 days! I only had one pair of shoes and they dried overnight.
  • Dawesy92
    I used to have clipless versions of the shimanos and i did like them, but moving to flats means new shoe needed, not decided may go for shimano am41 but i dunno, they seem pretty evenly matched from what you lot are saying just the shimanos dry quicker.

I usually only ride once a week so the drying time doesnt bother me too much, will have to see what pennys ive got after payday!!
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    They seem pretty evenly matched, except the Shimano's dry quicker, are stiffer and are about 50% of the cost. It's a bit of a no-brainer...
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • Hi All

I've been using these for around 8 months http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/teva-lin ... 85305.html found them very good for the price, mine are plain black and I got them for around £34.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    I have those new five ten impacts... surprising very light, nice sole stiffness, needless to say good grip.. decent splash proofing, I haven't soaked them so can't comment on drying time

Teva links are nice, grippy enough, amazingly comfy and they look decent
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Honestly, the best shoes i've used for mtbing are my £25 karrimor sports direct efforts. I've had my feet fully submerged in muddy puddles and they've stayed dry. I know a lot of the karrimor stuff is crap but these are excellent.
  • the new 5 10's are a massive improvement on the old ones and dry out as quickly, if not quicker, than the am41's. i've had both and the only reason to go for the shimano's now is budget. if you can stretch to the new impacts i'd definitely go for them. well made, light, awesome grip, take a real hammering and dry quick
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I currently run a pair of 5.10 Karvers (I think the ones I have are technically womens shoes but they dont look it and fit great) and I have some Impacts I picked up cheap at the end of summer which will be in service next year. I like them.

But I am keen to try the SF0 from Specialized - have had their shoes in the past for clipless duties and they were always a good fit. Sole looks good and the materials look set up for recovering from wet riding quickly.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Dawesy92
    Seems 50/50 with what people think so far... the price doesnt bother me if they are gonna last...
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    My Karvers are 3 years old and still going strong.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Lewis A
    Even if 5.10's do last well, the AM41's do too, so it would be dumb to spend £40 more. I really like my current Sombrio riding shoes, there very comfy, but do take ages to dry. But you can wear them without looking like an alien at a lower price than 5.10.
  • Dawesy92
    Lewis A wrote:
    Even if 5.10's do last well, the AM41's do too, so it would be dumb to spend £40 more. I really like my current Sombrio riding shoes, there very comfy, but do take ages to dry. But you can wear them without looking like an alien at a lower price than 5.10.

At the same point this is your own opinion. I did ask for this, but at the same point, I want other peoples opinion, and reading down the list of comments, alot of people like the 5.10's Aswell, im not keen on the AM41's but I may end up going this way I might not.
  • Lewis A
    Dawesy92 wrote:
    Lewis A wrote:

At the same point this is your own opinion. I did ask for this, but at the same point, I want other peoples opinion, and reading down the list of comments, alot of people like the 5.10's Aswell, im not keen on the AM41's but I may end up going this way I might not.
    Very true, also the comfort of the shoes is something you can't get from some randomer on the internet though, to find if a shoe fits you well you're going to have to try them out. A comfortable shoe that takes ages to dry is better than an uncomfortable one that doesn't.
  • Dawesy92
    Lewis A wrote:
    Dawesy92 wrote:
    Lewis A wrote:

Very true, also the comfort of the shoes is something you can't get from some randomer on the internet though, to find if a shoe fits you well you're going to have to try them out. A comfortable shoe that takes ages to dry is better than an uncomfortable one that doesn't.

Wise words from that man!!