In Praise of Better Shades

2»

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I got a pair of Oakley Crosslink frames, prescription, clear lenses (not Oakley lenses though) and a second pair of regular specs for about £100.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Next time I get some I am going to try those polarized ones from China = under £10.

For example:

"Professional Polarized Cycling Glasses Bike Casual Goggles Outdoor Sports Bicycle Sunglasses UV 400 With 5 Lens TR90 4 color"

I won't link to them out of respect for UK prices. :lol:

Of course its only any use if the polarization works but they sold enough of them.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Just make sure you don't put them on your face too tight :lol:

Why anyone would wear something they can't verify actually offers eye protection is beyond me.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I actually read that someone took some fakes to a shop who were pleasantly surprised with the amount of protection afforded.

One main issue is the optics are just not up to scratch. I had a few pairs of fakes (now lost/stolen/broken) and unless its bright sunlight, they are just all wrong.

I also have some 14 y/o M Frames. Lenses defo need replacing though!
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I have a pair of Uvex Photochromic glasses which are very good, granted I've never had Oakleys but they are great. Then I also have a cheaper pair of BBB Photochromics, they are still very good but the lens aren't as good. They were also half the price.

I only look at photochromic lenses these days, perfectly fine for 95% of riding in this country.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Protection from light? All I want protection from is flies. :P

If sunglasses make everything darker.. thats it for me, I class them as fully usable.

The only ones I ever didn't like were ones with red lenses / yellow lenses.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Manc33 wrote:
    Protection from light? All I want protection from is flies. :P

If sunglasses make everything darker.. thats it for me, I class them as fully usable.

Shades that are dark but don't offer UV protection open your eyes to higher levels of harmful light.

There's a good your Chinese specials have UV protection but without knowing I'd rather buy a cheap pair of Bolle.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I think you'd be surprised. Sometimes in low light, with glare, setting sun etc, the quality of lens makes a huge difference. I am no optic oficianado, but swapping my fake oakleys for genuine ray bans when watching the sun setting over a river (low light, bright sun, lots of glare) was light and day. This could come in when riding in winter when there is a low sun with a glare over wet roads, or when descending at speed through a tree-covered lane with specks of sunlight
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    coriordan wrote:
    I think you'd be surprised. Sometimes in low light, with glare, setting sun etc, the quality of lens makes a huge difference. I am no optic oficianado, but swapping my fake oakleys for genuine ray bans when watching the sun setting over a river (low light, bright sun, lots of glare) was light and day. This could come in when riding in winter when there is a low sun with a glare over wet roads, or when descending at speed through a tree-covered lane with specks of sunlight
    This is where the expensive versions come into their own.
    It was highlighted to me one sunny Saturday this year. We were having a family get together in the garden and I was wearing my "normal" sunglasses. All was good.
    Once everyone was gone I went out on the bike. My Oakleys were a huge improvement in the high contrast lower sun.
    Back home, I had to go somewhere in the car driving towards the setting sun so I drove using my Serengetis. Another massive improvement!
    Horses for courses but there is more to lenses than making things darker.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    apreading wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I need new glasses and I'm torn between going for prescription lenses for my Oakleys, which will cost mucho dinero and getting prescription lenses for some other cycling sunglasses I've seen which will work out much cheaper. I'll also be getting some non-sporty glasses too.

The Oakleys are already expensive so getting new lenses for them will mean I'll be truly gutted if I lose them/sit on them/have them stolen etc.

Do you need prescription glasses on the bike? If so then the Oakleys will be useless to you unless you get new lenses in them. If not then why the question?
    I don't need prescription glasses on the bike, but as I'll be getting new glasses anyway and I spend so much of my working day in my Oakleys I might as well get them (prescription lenses for the Oakleys) too.

The real cost will arise because I swap lenses depending on the light condition. I have smoke and orange lenses at the moment and I want clear lenses. That means three sets of prescription lenses. Mucho dinero x3!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • If you work in them can you expense them or at least offset them against tax?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

If you ever verb a noun again, I will hunt you down and kill you.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

If you ever verb a noun again, I will hunt you down and kill you.

Expense them, expense them, expense them!!!!! There (I'll be waiting :twisted: ) :wink::lol:
    verb
    offset (an item of expenditure) as an expense against taxable income.
    "up to $17,500 in capital expenditures can be expensed in the year they were incurred"
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    apreading wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I need new glasses and I'm torn between going for prescription lenses for my Oakleys, which will cost mucho dinero and getting prescription lenses for some other cycling sunglasses I've seen which will work out much cheaper. I'll also be getting some non-sporty glasses too.

The Oakleys are already expensive so getting new lenses for them will mean I'll be truly gutted if I lose them/sit on them/have them stolen etc.

Do you need prescription glasses on the bike? If so then the Oakleys will be useless to you unless you get new lenses in them. If not then why the question?
    I don't need prescription glasses on the bike, but as I'll be getting new glasses anyway and I spend so much of my working day in my Oakleys I might as well get them (prescription lenses for the Oakleys) too.

The real cost will arise because I swap lenses depending on the light condition. I have smoke and orange lenses at the moment and I want clear lenses. That means three sets of prescription lenses. Mucho dinero x3!

How strong is your prescription?
    Have you thought about the glasses with a removal insert? (Rudy Project, Adidas Evil Eye)
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • EKE_38BPM
    davis wrote:

Have you thought about the glasses with a removal insert? (Rudy Project, Adidas Evil Eye)
    I don't think it is very strong but, considering I've been wearing glasses for almost ten years, I know very little about prescriptions and strengths and the like.
    My eye test the other day says:
    SPH CYL AXIS
    R -0.25 -0.75 10
    L -0.75 -0.50 175.0

So, lenses or inserts?
    Either way, I'll expense them (that was for you, Kieran).

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    davis wrote:

I don't think it is very strong but, considering I've been wearing glasses for almost ten years, I know very little about prescriptions and strengths and the like.
    SPH CYL AXIS
    R -0.25 -0.75 10
    L -0.75 -0.50 175.0

So, lenses or inserts?
    Either way, I'll expense them (that was for you, Kieran).
    Your prescription is almost non-existent! You hardly need glasses.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • davis
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    SPH CYL AXIS
    R -0.25 -0.75 10
    L -0.75 -0.50 175.0

So, lenses or inserts?

Ok, that's not very strong, and you'll be fine with prescription lenses, so you've got a good choice. You'd only really benefit from an insert if you were above about 4-5 Dioptres (add the absolute value of the sphere and cylinder numbers together[this is an over-simplification]).

I cannot recommend RX Sport highly enough for service/advice etc. I should be on commission for them....

Edit: Oooh look they're doing 50 quid off Oakleys too. (If you buy them this week)
  • EKE_38BPM
    davis wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    SPH CYL AXIS
    R -0.25 -0.75 10
    L -0.75 -0.50 175.0

So, lenses or inserts?

Ok, that's not very strong, and you'll be fine with prescription lenses, so you've got a good choice. You'd only really benefit from an insert if you were above about 4-5 Dioptres (add the absolute value of the sphere and cylinder numbers together[this is an over-simplification]).

I cannot recommend RX Sport highly enough for service/advice etc. I should be on commission for them....

Edit: Oooh look they're doing 50 quid off Oakleys too. (If you buy them this week)
    Looking at the three lenses I want for my Fast Jackets, I'd be looking at ~£750!!!!

I may have to revise my options.
    Edit: The brand I was looking at before was Sunwise. ~£30 including three lenses.

• davis
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Looking at the three lenses I want for my Fast Jackets, I'd be looking at ~£750!!!!

I may have to revise my options.
    Edit: The brand I was looking at before was Sunwise. ~£30 including three lenses.

Christ! (Wonders off to Sunwise for a gander)