Just finished building up my cross/gravel/adventure bike.

m3ta1head
m3ta1head Posts: 23
edited November 2014 in Cyclocross
Specs:
'06 Felt F1X aluminium frame
'09 Felt F1X carbon fork
TRP CX8.4 brakes
Tiagra 4600 shifters/front mech
Deore M591 SGS rear mech
Deore 11-36t 10sp cassette
Deore HG54 chain
Shimano R600 50/34 cranks
Shimano M540 pedals
Clement X'plor USH 35c tires
DT Axis 1.0 wheelset
Stock cockpit/seatpost from my '12 Allez
Final weight: 22.5lbs/10.2kg

7LYIWQK.jpg

fhPo5B9.jpg

jdF6a0y.jpg

DXSv8Hf.jpg

SubWa0v.jpg

GHTWXLh.jpg

Comments

• jezzasnr
    jezzasnr Posts: 225
    Like that! That's going to do pretty much all of what I'd want from an all rounder.
    ....like it's golden
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Loving those brakes. Tempted to put some on my Singlecross. Great looking bike.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Liking that, just goes to show you don't need a special "Gravel bike" Just a cross bike with some chunky tyres.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I have CX8.4 on my CX/adventure bike too - good enough for black runs at Glentress and Innerleithin - overtook a few MTBs on a black, really steep, rooty section where I was simply doing a controlled slide with a locked back wheel :-D I'd want something a bit chunkier tyre-wise if you want to get really off-road, but great for blasting fire-roads
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Lovely looking bike!
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Very nice bike.
    I thought the CX8.4 brakes were only compatible with Campagnolo and SRAM or is there more than one version.....or am I just plain wrong?
    I want to replace the cantilever brakes on my Tricross which has Tiagra 9sp levers. These look like the right solution.
  • Thanks for the comments everyone!
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Very nice bike.
    I thought the CX8.4 brakes were only compatible with Campagnolo and SRAM or is there more than one version.....or am I just plain wrong?
    I want to replace the cantilever brakes on my Tricross which has Tiagra 9sp levers. These look like the right solution.

CX8.4s are indeed most compatible with the pull ratio of Sram/Campy levers. CX9s are designed to be compatible with Shimano levers. The most common complaint with these brakes is that they are too grabby and don't have enough modulation. I decided to go with the CX8.4/Shimano combo because it offers more modulation and less of an on/off feel. The only consequence is that there is supposed to be less total stopping power overall. I'm not sure I have noticed this as I can still lock both wheels easily at any speed-these brakes are silly powerful. I much prefer having some sponginess/feel in the brake-I have found that it is much easier to control traction on loose surfaces this way. Hope this helps.
  • Have you done any riding on road with those tyres? I have been thinking of getting a set for my commuter with the ability to get off the beaten path a bit if I feel the urge but wondered about how they resist cuts and how much drag they produce.
  • Have you done any riding on road with those tyres? I have been thinking of getting a set for my commuter with the ability to get off the beaten path a bit if I feel the urge but wondered about how they resist cuts and how much drag they produce.

Yes. I went with the 60tpi version which is supposed to be less supple but more durable and less prone to flats. On the road they roll fast and smooth thanks to the hard center tread. I definitely do not feel like they slow me down significantly. I haven't put that many miles on them yet but I have been riding a 50/50 mix of road/trails and so far, not a single issue with them. They are not super grippy on very loose surfaces like mud/sand, but for mixed hardpack & asphalt I can't think of a better all around tire. Highly recommend them. (note I run around 60-65psi for mixed riding and they hold up fantastically).
  • that sounds exactly the type of tyre i am looking for -thanks for the feedback. Which shop did you get them from -most of the larger internet shops don't seem to sell them and many that had them are out of stock.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    60psi is OK for tarmac but you'll get little grip on anything loose or slippy - trying knocking it down to 30-35psi, it'll not slow you much in the road but at least you'll get some better grip offroad.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    60psi is OK for tarmac but you'll get little grip on anything loose or slippy - trying knocking it down to 30-35psi, it'll not slow you much in the road but at least you'll get some better grip offroad.

I agree... 60 is way too much, even for tarmac. 30-40 will be the sweet spot... depending on the tyre and the terrain
    left the forum March 2023
  • that sounds exactly the type of tyre i am looking for -thanks for the feedback. Which shop did you get them from -most of the larger internet shops don't seem to sell them and many that had them are out of stock.

I bought them from this ebay seller: http://www.ebay.com/itm/171389848065?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
    Monty Dog wrote:

I agree... 60 is way too much, even for tarmac. 30-40 will be the sweet spot... depending on the tyre and the terrain

Thanks for the tips fellas. I typically run 110psi on my roadie with 23s so I guess I am used to high pressure. I was also afraid of pinch flatting from running the pressure that low, but I will try dropping down to around 40psi on my next ride.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    m3ta1head wrote:
    Thanks for the comments everyone!
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Very nice bike.

CX8.4s are indeed most compatible with the pull ratio of Sram/Campy levers. CX9s are designed to be compatible with Shimano levers. The most common complaint with these brakes is that they are too grabby and don't have enough modulation. I decided to go with the CX8.4/Shimano combo because it offers more modulation and less of an on/off feel. The only consequence is that there is supposed to be less total stopping power overall. I'm not sure I have noticed this as I can still lock both wheels easily at any speed-these brakes are silly powerful. I much prefer having some sponginess/feel in the brake-I have found that it is much easier to control traction on loose surfaces this way. Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the feedback. Just ordered a pair for my Tricross mutant bike.
  • Ai_1 wrote:
    m3ta1head wrote:
    Thanks for the comments everyone!
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Very nice bike.

Thanks for the feedback. Just ordered a pair for my Tricross mutant bike.

Sweet, be sure to report back once you have them installed!