Hardcore Hardtails - Saracen Zen and Orange Crush

TrailAndError
TrailAndError Posts: 11
edited November 2014 in MTB buying advice
Any recent model Saracen Zen or Orange Crush owners out there I'd be interested in hearing opinions on how good these are. Looking for a 650b hardtail with ideally 130-140mm of air fork and good geometry when heading downhill, but that can still cover a few miles and go uphill.
Also read these can be a bit harsh on the rear, the Zen got picked on for this in one review, but are they really much worse than other hardtails? Looking forward to first reviews of the 2015 model Zen and Crush.
Or should I just keep saving for a Whyte 905? Or do the complete opposite and buy a slightly less burly but more flexible use 120mm trail hardtail (maybe on of the Mantras, Vitus Sentier 275 etc.) for £800 odd, because spending twice the money doesn't give you twice the bike. Decisions..decisions....

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You got links t the specific bikes, just to be on the safe side?
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    have a look at bird bikes, better spec for your money than orange and get good reviews
  • Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Another plus 1 for bird, now I have actually ridden mine a couple of times I can tell you they climb superbly and decent like a demon
  • matzou
    matzou Posts: 19
    For the price range and "hardcore" definition I have this one could qualify aswell : http://www.commencal-store.com/PBSCProd ... D=14531376

Received mine last week, so far so good (the geometry <3) but the real test is going to be tomorrow... :)
    Commencal meta ht race 650b :) Broaappp :)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Stanton Slackline would be my choice. Lovely frame, proper fun bike.
  • Will have to check out Bird. The Commencal looks great as well, but they seem to come up a bit short compared to the others. Can I ask what size frame and height you are Matzou?
  • matzou
    Well I'am a midget !

I'am little less than 5'7 (1.69Meters) on a S frame, talking about the frame the photo on the website doesnt do justice it's actually way better in reality.

It was also my first time buying online and everything come in 1 piece in 3 days from Andorra, pretty happy with that.

I can give you more informations after the ride tomorrow if u wish.
  • Would have thought a small would be too small for you? Anyway, keen to hear impressions on how it rides, up and downhill.
  • matzou
    Well I just wrote a big answer before chrome decided to crash. :)

So it was 6h ride were 2.30h were spent just to go the spot.

In summary after 14miles of cycle path/road to go to the trails the bike was nice, no problem with this kind of "use".

Then on the trails I had a big smile upon my face all the time, except when faceplating into a tree followed by an otb and losing the front tyre and kissing the mud again. (mud+newbie+mud)

For the uphill thingy, I was a bit scared with the geometry + the 150mm upfront thought I had less trouble than with my previous 120mm more XCish Boardman team which was quite surprising.

And then on the drop/jump the revelation was 100% pure happyness it was perfect to make for all the mistake I could have done.

The geometry of the bike make it really playfull easy to pop around, and also in the end it was around 40miles overall and the comfort was also nice!

Also It was nice to be the only HT that we saw on those part of the woods (Giant trance, SpeStatus, mega AM ;)

And my friend was a bit skeptical about the Formula brakes and the X5 up front, I had no issue with thoses.

For the drawback I would say the tyres but then it depends on the condition/environment, and the fact that commencal is not offering any tools with the bikes. :p

Sorry about the short and chaotic review, but after losing the previous comment I'am not feeling like writing it again.

If you have any further questions go ahead. :)