Tubular bump

earth
earth Posts: 934
edited November 2014 in Workshop
After fitting Veloflex tubs to the rim there is a bump where the valve is. I noticed the backing tape overlaps slightly at the valve. This may not be the only reason for the bump but has anyone trimmed the overlapping section on their tyres to reduce this bump? Are there any disastrous consequences?

Comments

• I tend to cut off any excess around the valve on my Vittoria's.

There is occasionally a problem where the base tape forms a ^ around the base of the valve which if I left it on would cause a bump unless it had space to fit into the valve hole on the rim. The other option is to open up the valve hole on the rim itself with a file (essentially countersinking the base of the valve) which I've heard of others doing (not sure that I would want to though).
  • We used to countersink rims at the valve hole, it was the elegant way to do it, but now they cost 600 quid each, so nobody wants to do it anymore. If the bump is minor and you don't feel it when you ride, just leave it
    left the forum March 2023
  • earth
    I did consider countersinking the rim but I don't think Reynolds would honor the warranty on the wheels if I did that and they were pricey - but worth it :)

Trimming the backing tape might not solve the problem completely but it should reduce it.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I live with the small bump on my Pave's can't notice it even at 40 mph (down a hill of course).
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • earth
    Can you reach 40mph down hill in Suffolk?
  • We used to countersink rims at the valve hole, it was the elegant way to do it, but now they cost 600 quid each, so nobody wants to do it anymore. If the bump is minor and you don't feel it when you ride, just leave it

Vittoria seem to have covered a lot of rim and hub issues with their upcoming wheels including countersunk valve holes. I'm really interested to see reviews when they hit the shops.

In regards to the OP's problem don't worry about it. Ugo's right, you'll never notice when you're riding.