Cold Bum

donkey600
donkey600 Posts: 74
edited November 2014 in Road beginners
Hi All,

Well I had same problem last year, and as the better days have been and gone and I have loads of clothing in cupboard, im determined to sort once and for all.

I seem to get a bloody cold ass, when riding in temps from around 10 and below. Ass is freezing and also tops of thighs.

I have several full bibs - Lidl Crane pro, with windstopper front, Specialized winter bibs, and my 6 month old [url=DHBhttp://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-vaeon-roubaix-padded-bib-tight/?sku=5360483882]DHBhttp://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-vaeon-ro ... 5360483882[/url]

All three seem to be about the same, I also wear a pair of unpadded shorts over the top and im still getting cold.

Assistance appreciated in a hunt for a good pair of warm bibs, I live in peaks so allways pedalling up or down....

Comments

• cadseen
    cadseen Posts: 170
    edited November 2014
    Never heard of that before. Is it because you dont have mudguards and your rear is getting wet as well ?
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Try putting a pair of baggy MTB or running shorts on to stop heat wicking away with your sweat.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Pedal a lower gear and spin faster ? I always find that warms me up better in winter than pushing a big gear.
  • i find 2 pairs of bibs with leg warmers is ample. you could try some thermal/merino tights/leggings also to help or fancy wooly boxers. sometimes the tops of the thighs are a little red after a 90 minute 2 degree commute but after a shower all is ok again.

hope you find something that works for you.
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    Thermal Y fronts?

I bought some DHB Roubaix vaeon bib tights the other week. Coupled them with the £3.99 woolley socks from aldi and went out last sunday at 8-13 degrees during the ride. I also had on a Roubaix longsleeve and base layer and after about 5 mins from seeting off at 8 degrees the sleeves were rolled up and the jacket pretty much unzipped.
    my legs were also warm on the verge of being too warm. but then the from the off it was uphill for the first few miles so I guess I warmed up nicely.

failing any of that eat more cake and bulk up.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-vaeon-rouba ... bib-tight/
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • hi all, I now really feel weird..........went out today 12 degrees with ass and thighs cold.

Yes bike is now in winter guise with mudguards, and yes im spinning at 90 cadence, and yes im huffing and puffing.

After reading other reviews, think im going to buy some DHB - Vaeon Zero as these seem to be made more for winter.

Cheers for help.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have both DHB roubaix bibtights and a pair of Campag winter bibtights. The Campags are good down to 3-4c, the DHBs still keep me warm well below zero.

Never considered more than 1 layer on my lower half; think I'd overheat. Neoprene overshoes and Woolie Boolie socks keep my feet warm. Various layering options for hands / torso / head. Single layer from navel to ankle.
  • Yes, bum cheeks tend to get cold, it doesn't seem to be an issue, as it's a rather insensitive area
    left the forum March 2023
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    You could try using deep heat instead of chammy cream
    :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem