Cwmcarn trails - both red. How difficult are they?

Natofade
Natofade Posts: 19
edited November 2014 in Routes
So with Cwmcarn being basically on my doorstep, but being a relative novice, I'm a little concerned by the rating of the two runs there. According to the signage, both trails are rated difficult. I've seen a few discussions regarding difficulty ratings around the country not being uniform since joining up, and wondered if any experienced locals could give me an idea of what to expect. From watching some GoPro-type stuff on YouTube from the trails it seems to me like the Twrch trail contains more for the less experienced rider, but I obviously don't want to misinterpret what I'm seeing on screen, and end up somewhere I'm likely to come a cropper so soon after taking up the sport! On the flip side of that, I don't want to just be riding the canal for the rest of my days!

All advice and insights gratefully appreciated!

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I did once take a complete novice on Twrch - we bailed after a very short section where we discovered he couldn't maintain a straight enough line to slowly follow the trail.

If you ride within your abilities you'll be fine, there's nothing you can't just slow down for and get off if necessary. The new trail is a bit easier IMHO.

You could try the blue trail at FoD (Verderers) if you want something to test your skills?
  • Ive not seen a go pro vid yet that gives any real indication of slope gradient.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    It depends how you define novice. If you're physically fit then you'll be fine. the climbs on twrch and cafall are both tough. The descents are great fun, but if there's sections you don't feel comfortable on, just go slow and stop if you need too. Nothing is too steep that you can't do that.
  • welshkev wrote:
    It depends how you define novice. If you're physically fit then you'll be fine. the climbs on twrch and cafall are both tough. The descents are great fun, but if there's sections you don't feel comfortable on, just go slow and stop if you need too. Nothing is too steep that you can't do that.

I'm plenty fit enough for the climbs, it was the downhill sections that were more of a concern for me. As long as there's nothing that isn't passable either slowly or on foot then I'll more than likely be fine. I'm itching to get off the flat tbh!
  • welshkev
    Natofade wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

I'm plenty fit enough for the climbs, it was the downhill sections that were more of a concern for me. As long as there's nothing that isn't passable either slowly or on foot then I'll more than likely be fine. I'm itching to get off the flat tbh!

have you heard of Halfwayupmtb? (HWU) a club based in Blackwood but with riders from all over. they do beginner group rides quite often. check them out. also the southwalesmtb facebook page is a good place to go.

www.halfwayupmtb.co.uk
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/southwalesmtb/

I'm a member of both, good bunch of guys
  • If you're a member of halfwayup then I've probably met you without knowing it, as I run the Darran at the top of Risca. I know your lot have stopped with us a couple of times before on a Sunday. Have joined the South Wales MTB Facebook group, and am browsing through HWU website at the moment. Thanks for the links!
  • welshkev
    Natofade wrote:
    If you're a member of halfwayup then I've probably met you without knowing it, as I run the Darran at the top of Risca. I know your lot have stopped with us a couple of times before on a Sunday. Have joined the South Wales MTB Facebook group, and am browsing through HWU website at the moment. Thanks for the links!

no i've not been to the darran, but i know where it is, but you very probably know a girl who used to work for me as she practically lives in there :lol:
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    Natofade wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

Just take the DH sections at a steady pace and don't let the bike get away from you. All of the DH sections can easily be ridden (I'm not referring to the DH Tracks which are black), so just take your time and enjoy.
  • welshkev wrote:
    Natofade wrote:
    If you're a member of halfwayup then I've probably met you without knowing it, as I run the Darran at the top of Risca. I know your lot have stopped with us a couple of times before on a Sunday. Have joined the South Wales MTB Facebook group, and am browsing through HWU website at the moment. Thanks for the links!

no i've not been to the darran, but i know where it is, but you very probably know a girl who used to work for me as she practically lives in there :lol:

Who's that then?
  • Dave_P1 wrote:
    Natofade wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

Just take the DH sections at a steady pace and don't let the bike get away from you. All of the DH sections can easily be ridden (I'm not referring to the DH Tracks which are black), so just take your time and enjoy.

I'm certainly not going to rush myself at first, but like I said, I can't just be doing the canal for the rest of my days. I'm already trying top find ways to make it more interesting!