Cannondale tiagra caadx 2013?

roubaixtom
roubaixtom Posts: 316
edited November 2014 in Cyclocross
Hi,

Looking at picking up one of these 2nd hand. Just wondering if they are a good place to start out with cyclocross riding. I will be using it as a winter trainer too. The only down downside I can see would be the cantilever brakes. Should I i wait a bit and spend a bit more to get disc brakes or are cantilevers sufficient?

Thanks

Tom

Comments

• Recently got that bike second hand and love it, great frame and fun to ride. I'm using it for commuting/ winter trainer/ easy off roading (might well be taken on a couple of blue routes in the near future given how it handles some of the rougher bridleways around here).

Not finding the brakes an issue, discs might offer more modulation but for most off road stuff canti's have enough power to lock both wheels up, and on road they can send you over the handlebars. The braking power is definitely sufficient for normal use, I go down a 20-25% hill every day and have no problems.
  • Thanks for reply. What size frame do you have and how tall are you?
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    discs might offer more modulation but for most off road stuff canti's have enough power to lock both wheels up, and on road they can send you over the handlebars. The braking power is definitely sufficient for normal use, I go down a 20-25% hill every day and have no problems.

I agree with this. I have never had a problem racing on cantis and have ridden red MTB routes on my cross bike. Cantis may or may not be the best braking solution for a cross bike (the tide seems to be heading towards discs except at the top level) but cantis are more than adequate.
  • Canti's should be fine. I've recently bought my first CX bike with discs, however, that was a choice which was singled out because of various other factors too. You'll be surprised how good canti's can be, and they are rather cheap to replace or upgrade too!
  • Roubaixtom wrote:
    Thanks for reply. What size frame do you have and how tall are you?

56 cm frame, I'm 180cm. The fit is more or less spot on.
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    I changed the pads on my Caadx to some ashima v-brake ones and the braking has been much better than the stock ones. You can adjust the toe in of the pad which has improved the feel no end and almost eradicated brake judder. I'm 5' 10" and I went for the 51cm frame. The 54 felt too big.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR