Eccentric Bottom Brackets

CitizenLee
CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
edited November 2014 in The workshop
Hi,

My Cube has an eccentric BB to allow for adjusting chain tension with the Alfine hub, however Cube spec sheets leave a lot to be desired and there doesn’t seem to be any info available on what type of EBB shell is used. Currently installed in the EBB shell is a Truvative Powerspline BB, however at some point I plan to change to Shimano XT cranks which as you will know use Hollowtech II.

So my question is, if moving to Shimano will I need a new EBB shell and will going from inboard bearings (Truvative) to outboard bearings (HTII) affect the chainline? If so, how would I compensate for this? I assume other bikes do come with Alfine hubs and Shimano cranks as opposed to Truvative so hopefully not asking the impossible!

I tried emailing Cube for info and specs on the shell type but it’s been ages and no answer, and Google brings up lots of info on EBBs but none that look like the one fitted to the Cube.

big_13176266941819.jpg
0033124_cube_hyde_race_commuter_road_bike_2014.jpeg

Cheers,

Lee
Current:
NukeProof Mega FR 2012
Cube NuRoad 2018
Previous:
2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is a standard BB. just measure the wide and fit new BB as normal.

should be 68mm.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • CitizenLee
    nicklouse wrote:
    it is a standard BB. just measure the wide and fit new BB as normal.

should be 68mm.

Thanks Nick, I think it is 68mm yes but will measure after work.

Doing some further reading on chainline with Alfine hubs, it looks like the default is 42mm but you can adjust it by using a Nexus sprocket which have a slight dish, and they can be flipped to essentially double the dish if required.

Now to find a cheap set of XT M780/M785s in black :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • CitizenLee
    You were right Nick, it’s a 68mm shell.

Also, I managed to adjust it by putting an allen key in the hole, and then wedged a really long allen key in between the first allen key and the axle itself, then just yanked it round until the chain was tight. So that’s £15 or so saved on a specific tool :D

Watching a few sets of XT cranks on eBay but people must not check the likes of CRC first before coming up with their crazy asking prices.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    CitizenLee wrote:
    I managed to adjust it by putting an allen key in the hole, and then wedged a really long allen key in between the first allen key and the axle itself, then just yanked it round until the chain was tight.

I walk the Allen Key around using the crank arm. With a cheapy Isoflow crank, who cares about another little scratch.
  • CitizenLee
    MichaelW wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:
    I managed to adjust it by putting an allen key in the hole, and then wedged a really long allen key in between the first allen key and the axle itself, then just yanked it round until the chain was tight.

I walk the Allen Key around using the crank arm. With a cheapy Isoflow crank, who cares about another little scratch.

That's basically what I did, except wrapped a cloth around the allen key to save my hands :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous: