Ultegra Di2 with 105 components

renouj21
renouj21 Posts: 13
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm looking to build up a bike with Di2 (and hydraulic brakes), but to keep the cost down I want to use as many 105 components as possible. Obviously I need Di2 derailleurs front and rear, and the R785 levers. But for the cassette, chain, chainset and bottom bracket I'm considering 105. Any reason why not?

Comments

• DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    renouj21 wrote:
    I'm looking to build up a bike with Di2 (and hydraulic brakes), but to keep the cost down I want to use as many 105 components as possible. Obviously I need Di2 derailleurs front and rear, and the R785 levers. But for the cassette, chain, chainset and bottom bracket I'm considering 105. Any reason why not?

Not really, except for a pifflingly small amount of weight saving and vanity. I use 5800 calipers on my 6870 Di2 Foil without issue. I'd probably get the 6800 BB though, as the difference is only a quid or two.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I'm using SRAM Force cogs and my GF is using Athena 11, both with 11sp Di2.

I chose Force over Ultegra as it is quite a bit lighter and significantly prettier.

105 would work just as well.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    If you want to save money you'd be mad not to, you'll gain a couple of grams and lose nothing.
  • Yup - go for it. This gen 105 is probably lighter than the previous gen of Ultegra anyway
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Whats the cheapest way to do such a thing (sorry for the hijack), buying everything separately is surely expensive?
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    DKay wrote:
    renouj21 wrote:

Not really, except for a pifflingly small amount of weight saving and vanity. I use 5800 calipers on my 6870 Di2 Foil without issue. I'd probably get the 6800 BB though, as the difference is only a quid or two.

I forgot to say, that the chain and cassette on my Di2 Foil are also 5800.

Cheapest way is to probably buy a full 5800 groupset, keep the bits you want and sell the rest individually. That what I did.
  • Miles253 wrote:
    Whats the cheapest way to do such a thing (sorry for the hijack), buying everything separately is surely expensive?

I'd buy a Di2 conversion kit (if such a thing exists for hydraulic brakes - possibly not) and a 105 groupset from somewhere like Merlin and then sell the bits that are leftover. You could do the same and just add the Di2 hydraulic brifters.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Yeah, not a bad idea actually. new 105 looks to be good stuff too. Cheers
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group