Need help in switching from shimano to campag freehub

manax
manax Posts: 4
edited November 2014 in Workshop
Purchased wheels long time ago, now decided to build another bike with campagnolo 11 sp. groupset. Problem came up when bought cassette, it does not fit on freehub. Next problem - don`t know manufacturer of hub, there is no indicators :(
There is a variety of freehubs, just want to buy right one :?:
If anyone can help with identifying wheel hub or pointing to correct freehub, would much appreciate.
Hope pictures will help

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Without brand or model it will be a difficult job.
    Any indication on the rims?
  • manax
    Rims are Hed jet 6.
  • HED use their own branded hubs... being an old model I suspect the availability of a freehub that fits is unlikely.

Best to contact HED directly (try HED UK in Sheffield) and see if they have what you need.
    left the forum March 2023
  • manax
    Thanks for your help
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Apparently there are cassettes with 11sp campagnolo spacing that will fit on shimano freehub bodies

http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2 ... 26637.html
  • I may be wrong but I recall that Shimano and Campag 11 speed work pretty well together. Worth a google.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Yes, it does.
    A campagnolo 11 speed cassette does not fit on a 10 speed Shimano freehub, that's the problem.
    You miss 1,8 mm width.
  • Have a look at ambrosio cassettes. They make cassettes which fit shimano hubs and run campagnolo set-up. Might be an easier solution to your problem.

I got a 10speed shimano freehub cassette with campagnolo gear spacing which works perfectly for about £38. Although an 11speed freehub might not fit the length of the spindle you have, but does that extra gear matter that much?

You could still run a 10speed campagnolo gruppo.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Keezx wrote:
    Yes, it does.
    A campagnolo 11 speed cassette does not fit on a 10 speed Shimano freehub, that's the problem.
    You miss 1,8 mm width.

I think he's suggesting a Shimano 11 speed cassette might fit on that freehub and work with an otherwise 11 speed Campag drivetrain??

If you don't have an 11 speed Shimano cassette to hand you could take the wheel to a LBS and they'll be able to try one quickly.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    A shimano 11 speed cassette will not fit a 10 speed hub without modification of the freehub unless you drop one sprocket and have 10 speed with 11 speed spacing. Shimano 11 speed spaced cassette index just fine with campagnolo 11 speed fdrive train. Miche do an 11 speed shimano cassette with seperate sprokets which makes droping (the largest) quite easy. Wheels manufacturing do a cassette for 10 speed freehubs which is 11 speed by dishing the largest sprocket but rear meach spoke interferance is a real possibility. available from the U. S only as well.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.