Cannock Chase: Monkey Trail

mtbjunkie08
mtbjunkie08 Posts: 192
edited November 2014 in Routes
Hi all,

Planning to finally get to Cannock Chase and ride the Monkey Trail soon. I'll be travelling by train from stoke and will either stop at Stafford and bike it the rest of the way or stop at Rugeley Trent Valley station right on the forests doorstep.

My question is, how long does it take the average first timer to complete the monkey trail?. Also, I've read its not very rideable in very wet conditions, how bad does it get, is November/December the worse months to go?

tia,

Andy

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    ...stop at Stafford and bike it the rest of the way or stop at Rugeley Trent Valley station right on the forests doorstep
    Go to Rugeley. I live in Stafford and ride to the Chase it's 10 miles of lanes/off road before you hit the official trails. All uphill as well :)
    ...how long does it take the average first timer to complete the monkey trail?
    Erm Monkey & Dog two hours? Two and a half? Monkey maybe an hour, and hour 30. Depends so much on you and your abilities. Loads of places to stop and take a breather. Friendly locals as well *cough*
    ...it's not very rideable in very wet conditions, how bad does it get, is November/December the worse months to go?
    The Chase is all sand and pebbles and it drains very well up to a point, then it saturates and takes weeks to dry out. We're a long way from that at the moment it's just wet with not much in the way of actual mud. The pebbles can be tricky when they're moist and also the short sections of boardwalk are deadly if you lean too far off vertical. Otherwise there's nothing really to catch you out it's more fun than gnar

Enjoy
  • Thanks so much for all the information guys. I was under the assumption that the monkey trail included follow the dog in its route but it sounds like they are 2 seperate trails?
  • Thanks oxoman, just checked their trail map at chasetrails too which helps visualise what you said. :)

I'm just getting over a bad cold at the moment but hope to get out there in the next few weeks.
  • Thanks for the update. I think they have a bike wash there dont they, how much is it?