Alps, fly,drive,bike hire ?

Gazzetta67
Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
edited November 2014 in Tour & expedition
Hello.

Would like to base myself around the Moutiers area as there seems to be a lot of tour climbs nearby.....any ideas of the best airport, accommodation & bike hire ideas would be a help cheers. Late May - June

Comments

• whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    I've flown with Easyjet to both Lyon and Geneva both of which are about 75-100 km away. Can't give you much advice regarding transfers as I've away ridden my bike.
    Bike hire in the Alps is expensive 50 euro a day. £35 each way on Easyjet for your own bike.
    In late May many of the passes can still be snow covered. It can snow pretty much at any time of year in the high Alps but the earlier you go in the season the more likely it is. We tend to choose the last two weeks in June as it's not yet stupidly busy.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Can't offer any specific advice regarding the area but can only echo the above, late May is still quite early for some of the mountain roads to be open.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Marik
    Marik Posts: 40
    Have you considered driving if there's a few of you going? Cuts out expensive bike hire, also having to cycle along that main valley road to get to your routes - its very busy if I remember correctly. And yes, the higher passes may still be closed then.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Palma de Mallorca :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem