Where can I buy a 15mm x 100mm thru axle?

Dippydog3
Dippydog3 Posts: 414
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
Need a replacement for my road bike.

I can't seem to phrase the question for Mr Google to give me an answer.

The existing part says

Road 15mm Thru
15x100mm
QR32-F

Takes a 5mm allen key to open it.

Would be grateful for any links. Thanks.

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Presumably, the 100mm refers to the hub width, not the length of the axle itself, which would be longer.

I don't know about road forks, but with mountain bike forks, there are several different 15mm axle "standards" and the correct axle to use depends upon the forks themselves, so try a search based on the make/model of the forks to ascertain what axle standard they actually utilise.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    There don't appear to be many on the after-market as I had the same issue tracking down a 197mm one for my fat-bike. I got the frame maker in China to provide one as the only option - I would check with your bike/fork maker / distributor as there are different threads being used between makes.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Thanks. I have emailed the manufacturer.
  • Dippydog3 wrote:
    Thanks. I have emailed the manufacturer.
    And they seem to be struggling as it is a new model and there is little info around.

The front one is 12mm diameter and 128mm long
    The rear is 10mm diameter and 163mm long

I guess I will have to try the MTB shops.

Or, is there any way of converting to quick release?

d48ea51966fbadd722fb2153f3f1107c.jpg
    712be6053f2ffb779577d439e84e58dc.jpg
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    A conversion is very unlikely - the dropouts on the forks dictate what axle size they take, so even if the hub could be converted to QR, the wheel would no longer fit the fork.

You still haven't told us some basic information that will allow us to help more - what is the make and model of the fork? and the same question about the hub.

Also, you've now contradicted yourself - is the axle diamter on the front 15mm as originally stated, or 12mm as per your last post?

The picture presumably shows the rear axle, as it states 163mm on it - it looks like the threaded end screws straight into the frame at one end, and is tightened by hex key at the other end - so does the front work in exactly the same way?
  • jimothy78 wrote:
    A conversion is very unlikely - the dropouts on the forks dictate what axle size they take, so even if the hub could be converted to QR, the wheel would no longer fit the fork.

You still haven't told us some basic information that will allow us to help more - what is the make and model of the fork? and the same question about the hub.

Also, you've now contradicted yourself - is the axle diamter on the front 15mm as originally stated, or 12mm as per your last post?

The picture presumably shows the rear axle, as it states 163mm on it - it looks like the threaded end screws straight into the frame at one end, and is tightened by hex key at the other end - so does the front work in exactly the same way?
    Yes, it is confusing. As per the picture, the writing on the axle says 15x100mm. Thats what I assumed it was, hence the title. However, I have measured it and it is 12mm diameter, 128mm long. It is the same design as the rear one with threaded end and hex key on the other end.

The fork is on my Specialized Diverge. As supplied by them. It was pretty well the first one into the UK and Specialized UK don't seem to know much about it.

32d14c54fe21ea5756bb3653c498caff.jpg