Kit colour question (so vain!)

mcvw
mcvw Posts: 270
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

So... before getting shot down massively in flames - yes I know this is a question of no real worth, but either way I'd be interested to hear peoples opinions.

I'm thinking of getting some Defeet armwarmers & overshoes but can't decide on colour. Should I go for both in black, or both in hi-vis yellow, or maybe all white?

NB: I have a white Giant Defy and mostly black kit (bib shorts/bib tights/whit & black jacket) - though I have got a short sleeved Rapha jersey in yellow (ebay used).

Thanks,

Mike
PS: I've even considered a white armwarmer/red overshoe (or black overshoe) combo :D
2016 Handsling Bikes A1R0
2014 Giant Defy Composite 1
On One 4560b

Comments

• Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I once made the mistake of buying white overshoes.

Just get black.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    Black in both.
    White overshoes will be white for one wet ride, then get progressively greyer.
    White arms will make you look like Popeye and then get greyer.

If you want the Pro white overshoe look, go to TK Max and buy some cheap white socks in a big size then throw away when they get grey.

To cut them to allow your cleat through put them on then pinch a small amount over the middle of the cleat, then cut a piece as big as the amount you have pinched.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The Prendas oversocks in fluro are fantastic and, at £15 for two pairs, well worth considering. They will keep your feet warm but not too hot. I find overshoes suffer from poor drainage when it is really wet or overheating when it is not as bad as feared, whereas oversocks solve all that. The fluro version wash up well at 40 degrees and, at that price, can be thrown away after a couple of winters. They are also very noticeable when spinning around at high cadence.

As for armwarmers, whatever you like but fluro is a good idea at this time of year. I was out on Saturday for the morning club ride and several in the group even had lights on which, in the pouring rain and overcast skies, made a lot of sense as many motorists also had lights on. OK, so fluro is not as good as a fluro/reflective combo but it can help.
  • mcvw
    The Prendas oversocks certainly do offer value for money - I could get two pairs of over-socks, and two sets of arm-warmers for the same price as one set of Defeet's - plus the Prendas have pre-cut cleat-holes.

But is it a case of, "you get what you pay for". I mean, I'd rather have one good set of arm-warmers and over-socks, than two pairs of not so good ones... :(

*EDIT* I just noticed that Prendas sell a customised Defeet Duraglove - so could it be presumed that the Prenda over-socks and arm-warmers are also Defeet items?
    On One 4560b
  • Hmmmmm

If it's too warm for a jacket but riding in jersey and arm warmers then yellow and fluro may look a little vomit inducing!?!? I'd go Black on arm warmers.

I don't have any issues with fluro overshoes though as you'll probably not see any yellow when wearing overshoes cos the weather will be beyond "jersey only"

There ya go ... Sorted ;)
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Always black.
  • I use white (well, baby vomit off white these days) arm warmers for visibility when I'm indicating on the commute but I'm with the others on overshoes. Unless they're waterproof (Sugoi Zap type) then anything but black overshoes will get very dirty very quickly. Your feet are a great place to have something bright or reflective though from a safety angle (moving block rather than static).
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    White arm warmers for me but then I ride in lots of traffic and want my indications to be seen as clear as possible.

For the sake of being a tart, yellow arm warmers and overshoes would tick the box and be sensible for this of year.
  • mcvw
    I chose the practical option and went for black arm-warmers and black over-socks - for the princely sum of £15 from Prendas - a bargain if you ask me :) !!

If they prove to be up to the job I'll probably order a set of both in yellow :D
    On One 4560b
  • cswitch
    cswitch Posts: 261
    white always looks cheap to me, like it was out of the bargain bin. Black & black is the way to go.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    There are 4 criteria for chosing a colour in cycling gear that I can think of:
    1. Personal preference
    2. Cycling fashion (i.e. everyone else's opinion)
    3. Practicality/Durability
    4. Visibility

No-one here can help with No.1. No. 2 should be the least important in my view. No. 3 will really come down to whether you care if bright/light colours get dirty quickly or pick up colours in the wash. You can judge the need for No.4 for yourself - it's a major factor for most of my jersey/bib choices.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    can never understand the craze with black when visibility is a higher priority than looks ! combine both with some Farnese Vini kit !
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • How about orange arm warmers? I saw some being worn with black jerseys recently and thought they looked pretty good as well as being visible in the murk.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Mechanism wrote:
    How about orange arm warmers? I saw some being worn with black jerseys recently and thought they looked pretty good as well as being visible in the murk.
    You appear to have answered your own question, unless you're looking for "acceptability" feedback.
  • cswitch
    cswitch Posts: 261
    You can be visible without having to wear white. Im all for colour though the question was about arm warmers and in that respect it's black or black.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If its dark then colours aren't so important anyway. If its dark you need good lights and reflectives.

The prendas armwarmers have a version with a fluo band and fluo writing that helps a bit with visibility in the day,
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    5360088966-dhb-unisex-fluro-pink-roubaix-arm-warmers-neon.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7

On offer at Wiggle: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-blok-roubai ... m-warmers/ :shock: :roll: :shock:
  • mcvw
    cougie wrote:
    If its dark then colours aren't so important anyway. If its dark you need good lights and reflectives.

The prendas armwarmers have a version with a fluo band and fluo writing that helps a bit with visibility in the day,

Yup - in the dark it's more about lights & reflectives :)
    On One 4560b