SHIMANO D Fly

trevorb
trevorb Posts: 49
edited November 2014 in Workshop
Hi has anyone installed the wireless D-Fly inside the frame? I am thinking it should be possible to disconnect the rear derailleur cable at the B junction box located in the frame, connect this to the D-Fly and then run a short cable from the D-Fly to the B junction box where the rear derailleur cable was.

Comments

• Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    You could do that but unless you really don't want to see it, it's a lot of hassle.

Mine sits on the drive side seat stay with a 175mm cable to the rear mech. The cables are on the bottom of the EWW01. It works fine like this.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • You can put it anywhere in the wiring you like by you should consider that to put it in pairing mode you need to have physical access to it so make sure it's paired and working before you hide it.
  • Bar Shaker
    PhunkyPhil wrote:
    You can put it anywhere in the wiring you like by you should consider that to put it in pairing mode you need to have physical access to it so make sure it's paired and working before you hide it.

I have never paired mine. The Garmin found it and that was that.

How do you pair it?
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • When you plug both cables in it enters pairing mode for a period of time according to the manual.

I had my garmin to hand when I plugged mine in so didn't test the process extensively.
  • I have installed it inside the frame and so pleased that I did. I did pair it before reinstalling the bottom bracket but to be honest I don't think it was necessary. The D Fly is out of the way and should make it easier when cleaning the bike or when transporting in the bike bag. There has been no problems with reception at the handlebars so although a little more hassle, it is definitely worth it.
  • simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    Anyone tried or thought of in seat tube? May be simpler to access if necessary!
  • Bar Shaker
    trevorb wrote:
    although a little more hassle, it is definitely worth it.

This component is totally waterproof and you would break your seat stay before you broke your EWW01, in a collision.

I can't see why it is worth any effort to hide it away.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro