New HT approx £500

kinioo
kinioo Posts: 776
edited November 2014 in MTB buying advice
Morning All,

As I will be looking for a new (better than my Hardrock) HT soon (I think FS is a bit OTT for me and also I may use it for some touring as well), here are the bikes I have heard of/ seen reveiws etc. and are generally quite good value for the money and in my price range:

I am talking about second hand bikes

1) Voo Doo Bizango;
2) Boardman HT Team;
3) Boardman Pro 29er - if I stretch my budget a bit

What do you think guys ?
Have been using 26" for past few years - should I stick to "26 or "29 should be fine ??
Any other makes / models I may consider ??
I'm 178-180cm - I think biznago goes in 18" and 21" - as its 29er should I go for 18" frame (not all Halfords have them in stock so cant try)

May thanks,

Chris

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Wheel size doesnt affect the frame size you need....

Consider also the Rockrider 8.1 as a 26" option.

For touring a 29er would be a better bet as the range of road tyres (badged 29 or 28" or 700c) is vast.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Cheers Rookie - useful as usual.

From the bikes listed which one you would go for ??

I like Voo Doo - but not sure about 29" (however as you said it might be slightly better for touring)??

C.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd go for the Bizango if you can find one.

29er is very much a Marmite thing, personally I didn't really like the 29er's I tried even though I'm sure my aging legs would appreciate the faster rolling, even £4K of Trek Superfly Elite felt heavy and barge like after my 26" Carrera although the greater ease of rolling was obvious, I kept misjudging my braking point as easing off the pedalling didnt slow it as much as I expected!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.