should i go for it?

Theodwros_Kalomoiros
edited November 2014 in MTB buying advice
hey guys

i have been riding my bike for about 8 months and recently a very close friend of mine offered me one of his bikes so i am kinda willing to sell my bike to get this one..

so without any further adieu, the deal is like that

i sell my bike for 500 euros ---->http://www.mhw-bike.com/sale/hardtail/1052/cube-attention-26-greyngreen-2014 i have cycled 1700 km( i have found a buyer)

and the *new* bike is that one
>http://mountain-bikes.findthebest.com/l/3974/2012-Cube-Reaction-Pro this is sold for 900 euros

i have riden this bike for 10 km. It is very comfortable and the performance is outstanding , it has like 1000 km of use and brand new breaksets 400euros worth(i will post the brand and the model of the brakes as soon as i learn it) also it has been stored indoors and never hit the road,in other words it was used only as a trail bike for less than a year

i use the bike mostly to commute to schooll 6 km a day and ride easy trails at the weekends ...

what do you think should i go for it?is it a good offer or not?

as i am new to mtb any thought and advice will be much appreciated.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I wouldn't pay £900 for that. £600 max.
  • Well can you please tell me the reasons why you don't think it would be a good purchase,and why do you think that 900€[~780£ ] is too much for this bike, any help is really appreciated by the way
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It's not bad - but not the best fork. Nice cranks though - it's worth doing for the 400 Euro it will cost you, and is 5lbs lighter.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I agree, it's a decent upgrade for the money.

Of course used bike prices can vary considerably between locations....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic wrote:
    It's not bad - but not the best fork. Nice cranks though - it's worth doing for the 400 Euro it will cost you, and is 5lbs lighter.
    Thanks for the advice, can you tell me why isn't the fork "the best"?
    Anyway I live in Greece, that's my location btw in response to the rookie

Any thoughts about the wheel size? I mean it is 26'' should this worry me since the market is focusing on 650b?
  • The Rookie
    26" will be around for an awful long time.....

The Evolution is the entry level Fox fork and accepted by many to be not as good as equivalent offerings from Rockshox and other competitors, that said it is not a bad fork.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thank you for your response to my question
    I too think that it is a decent fork, although I would like to look into the fox ctd technology which I believe to be really interesting
    That being said, should I try talking my friend into selling me the bike without the fork to save money to buy a newer and not an evolution series fox fork?
  • The Rookie
    Without the fork would be a good option, but I'd get an RS fork not a Fox.

CTD isn't a technology, its a setup.
  • Food for thought.. I will get back to you as soon as i have more info about my course of action.

One last thought I had it goes like that "how should I feel about selling my first bike, should I expect feelings of remorse and sadness because it is something special for me or am I just being exaggerating the whole thing in my head? "

Thanks for your advice.
  • rockmonkeysc
    CTD was a step back in technology. Less adjustable than older versions. The quality of damping is worse than the old Float. It's a very crude damper which is not quite as nice as the entry level Rockshox compression damper.
    It has very little small bump sensitivity making it a harsh ride but bigger bumps will have it diving to the bottom of it's travel.
    On the bright side they sell used for about the same money as a far better Rockshox Reba RL of a similar age giving you an option to upgrade for no cost.
  • Now I can tell you the name of the brakes
    Formula r1 although I don't know the year of.release.
    Buying the bike without the fork is off the table btw..
    Any comments on the brakes?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Buy it with the forks and sell them to pay for a set of Rebas.
    Good brakes, I like them.
  • Thanks for the response, I too have decided to do the trade. If I eventually sell the fork I will post a new thread for guidance

Any other thoughts or advice is very welcome.
  • rockmonkeysc
    No need for guidance. Just stick the piece of junk on ebay and watch the bids come in then buy a nice Reba or Sid or Marzocchi Corsa or one of them Mantou jobbies. Anything without that awful Fox CTD damper, even a pre CTD Fox Float.
  • Why so much hate? Anyway ain't these forks Ok for commuting to school and easy trail riding?

I mean if I sell them and gain say 200 maybe 250€ I still need another 150~200 to get a good replacement right?
  • rockmonkeysc
    They are ok for commuting, rigids are better for that though.
    They are the worst forks I have ridden in years. You could sell them and get a similar aged Reba or Marzocchi Corsa for no extra cost and both are much better. Even an older Fox Float is a big improvement.
    The CTD damper is crude and unreliable, a real move backwards for Fox.
  • http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... prod128572

That loOKs cool!!! Anyway goodnight:-D thanks for the advice, I appreciate your devotion to answering my questions
  • defride
    defride Posts: 277
    Don't get hung up on the fork, it may not be the very best but it's perfectly capable. I rode it on a hardtail on the rocky trails of the Lake District recently and smoked a group on various travel more modern full sus bikes both up and down the hills. Unless you're planning to race enduro/downhill it'll do just fine.
  • I guess you are right
    Overall the bike is awesome, I'll post pictures once I get it
    One last thing fellows
    I would like to thank you for your answers since you helped to clear things up.:-D