Beginners Bike????

chrispowell84
chrispowell84 Posts: 2
edited November 2014 in Road beginners
Good Afternoon,

I'm looking to get my first road bike but im a bit unsure what to get. I want to spend around £600 on the complete bike. What options do I have.......

So far the bikes i'm torn between are
1, Raleigh Revenio
2, Specialized Allez
3, Something from Halfords, Either Carrera or Boardman.

What do i need to be looking for? As i mentioned this will be my first road bike and i plan to get out a couple times a week and clock some miles and i also plan to get a turbo trainer for indoor use.

Thanks in advance for your time and suggestions.
Chris

Comments

• ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    The Revenio 3 looks quite good, and the Allez or Boardman are also good bikes. However I'd go to a local bike shop and try out some bikes and I'd buy from a shop rather online - so you can take it back to fix any problems, as I find there usually are some. If the £600 is your maximum budget, bear in mind that you will need some money for helmet, gloves, shorts, pedals, tools and spare tubes etc.
  • My first bike was an Allez (although second hand) and it is/was a great choice bike.

It's now relegated to a winter bike but it's still great and I would recommend one.
  • Rhod81
    Rhod81 Posts: 116
    Allez.

My first (and current) road bike was an Allez elite. The better half got it for me for commuting purposes, but the bug bit, and i have done 4.5k miles this year.

Brilliant bike, the core of which (i.e. The frame) in my opinion is very light, high quality and looks good. I have replaced pretty much all the moving bits (chain, rings, cassette) and upgraded some bits like the saddle and pedals. The one big difference was upgrading the wheels when the standard ones gave up.

Im saving for a new bike now, but still intend to keep the Allez as a winter/commuter bike. And if its any recommendation im probably sticking with Specialized (tarmac).
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    It's now relegated to a winter bike but it's still great and I would recommend one.

This is the fate of all well-used entry-level road bikes, so you may as well plan for this eventuality.
    Consider tyre clearance for 28mm tyres and mudguard eyelets for bolt on 'guards. A rear rack eyelet makes it a good fast commuter/light-touring bike.
    Do you wan race gearing or easier compact double chainset.
    And a good fit.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Seeing as all first bikes end up as winter bikes (and its now winter), how about looking at the Ribble Winter Audax range and getting something suitable(?) from the off.
  • +1 for the Allez

However, it has served me well for racing and training but I would not recommend it if you wish to use it for a winter commuter or tourer due to a lack of eyelets on the frame.

Get your leg over one in your LBS though to get an idea of sizing.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    If I was starting out today I would get a Planet X RT58 with SRAM Apex, currently £499. Absolutely stunning value for money.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FBPXRT58ALUAPEX/planet-x-rt-58-alloy-sram-apex-road-bike

Get in quick though, limited offer!! And no I don't work for them!!
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,385
    You need to check your size but have you seen this?

viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=12999127
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuj ... e-ec055667

Excellent starter road bike for £600.

fuji-sportif-15-2014-road-bike.jpg

It ticks all the right boxes for eventual conversion to a winter/tourer/commuter bike with disc brakes, rack and guard mounts, clearance for 35mm tyres (Marathon Winters) and a wide gear range. So more versatile that the Allez but the one above is a great buy if it's the right size.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    handful wrote:
    If I was starting out today I would get a Planet X RT58 with SRAM Apex, currently £499. Absolutely stunning value for money.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FBPXRT58ALUAPEX/planet-x-rt-58-alloy-sram-apex-road-bike

Get in quick though, limited offer!! And no I don't work for them!!
    ^^This one, great vfm.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    +1 for the Allez.

Always worked all year round despite caked in crud over winter and badly needing a service. Some of my fastest times on Strava are still from when I had that Allez, so it shouldn't be looked down on as just a cheap beginners bike. If you're fit it's still more than capable.

The only thing I replaced was better wheels of and worn chains and bottom brackets.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • Ribble have the Pro Evo carbon on sale again
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    I got my first road bike this time last year, with the same budget, I plumped for a Giant Defy 4.
    I am pleased with the bike, have done 2,000+ miles on it so far, with no complaints.
    The type of riding you envisage doing could influence your decision, do you want a relaxed geometry or more racey?
    A carbon fork will help with comfort, also would you want to add mudguards, a frame with eyes to add later if so.
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • beski wrote:
    I got my first road bike this time last year, with the same budget, I plumped for a Giant Defy 4.
    I am pleased with the bike, have done 2,000+ miles on it so far, with no complaints.

You need to get out more. :)
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
  • I know this is well under budget but it reviews brilliantly. I'm thinking of getting one at Christmas for my first road bike.

Luckily, I have a Decathlon store only about ten miles away so getting fitted won't be a problem.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-se-road-bike-black-id_8306187.html

Does anyone have any experience of these bikes? The weak wheels are the only area for criticism that I can recall.
  • Hi Steg
    Just out of interest did you go ahead and get one of these from decathlon or did you get something else?
    Cheers
    Jonhall
  • I'd go for this one http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT58AL ... -road-bike Tiagra for a Sora budget.

If you can stretch to £800 you can have carbon http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FBPXSLP105 ... -road-bike
  • jonhall41 wrote:
    Hi Steg
    Just out of interest did you go ahead and get one of these from decathlon or did you get something else?
    Cheers
    Jonhall

Not yet Jonhall, I'd spent a lot on a new mountain bike in July so I'd struggle to get a significant other bike purchase approved by the boss (wife). That's why I've had to trim a budget of £300-£400 max for a road bike.

I will almost certainly get it at Christmas unless I'm missing something else at this price point.
  • Specialzed Allez is a great bike for the money. My winter bike is a Scott Speedster S50 and I'd
    recommend those. Damn good value for money.
  • Allez here too, seems like the ford focus choice of road bikes!
    However due to popularity, there's bundles on the second hand sections ebay, gumtree.

I bought mine 2nd hand and the money went so much further.