My First Power Meter - Stages or new Vector S?

nicklong
nicklong Posts: 231
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
I've noticed that Garmin have released a new version of their power meter, the left-only Vector S. It's for around £600, which has got me very interested (I already use Keo pedals so that's not an issue for me).

After a bit more research I've seen that the Stages is also available for £599.

I'm happy with the compromises of a left-only system given the price. I also like interchangeability.

My main issue with the Stages is that I've got an FSA SLK Light crankset and the idea of a mixed set of crankarms (alu Energy + carbon SLK) offends my OCD...

What are people's thoughts on the 2 options?

(I race, French 3e Cat, plus am looking for a sub 7:30 time in next years Marmotte.)

Comments

• The only thing you need to be aware of is that you need the longer version of the strap or whatever it is. I went with Stages having carefully considered the full Vector system but, at the time, Vector wouldn't work with SLK. Combining that with being forced to use Keo pedals, tipped the balance to using Stages (even though it meant I had to go Shimano cranks). In the situation you're in, I'd probably go Vector.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Whatever you buy be sure to invest in either coach or time yourself so that you are able to read & use the data.
  • nicklong
    Cheers. I think the Stages is out, I just now need to justify whether I have enough time to train to make use of the meter.

Thanks for the tip re: wide version needed with the SLK.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    [quote="nicklong" I just now need to justify whether I have enough time to train to make use of the meter.

[/quote]

If thats the case then what the hell is the point? Sounds like you are after one more as a fashion accessory. If you don't know how to read the data or know how to use it to improve your performance then its money down the drain. If you think it is just about pushing out wattage than you mistaken. Even elite riders need someone to tell them what the data means.
  • nicklong
    [quote="nicklong" I just now need to justify whether I have enough time to train to make use of the meter.

If thats the case then what the hell is the point? Sounds like you are after one more as a fashion accessory. If you don't know how to read the data or know how to use it to improve your performance then its money down the drain. If you think it is just about pushing out wattage than you mistaken. Even elite riders need someone to tell them what the data means.[/quote]

Cheers, thanks for the benefit of the doubt. If I was after a fashion accessory I'd buy a Rapha jacket, a carbon frame or some wheels.

If you really need to know, then I want to improve my 10 min breakaway performance so that I can improve on the 8 top 10 placings I got this past race season.

I've justified NOT buying one for the past year because I had enough base training to focus upon and my last season goal was a "gold" Marmotte time. (I suppose that 5 euro medal counts as a fashion accessory. )
  • smoggysteve
    Your quote sounds like you are not sure whether you can be arsed or not. If you are committed you find the time so cut the bullsh1t. To reiterate you want to buy a 1k+ item them wonder if you have time to use it?

Maybe if you just went out and trained more with or without a meter you might improve somewhat
  • nicklong wrote:
    Vector S. It's for around £600,
    Stages is also available for £599.

To reiterate you want to buy a 1k+ item

Eh? £600 isn't £1k+

I don't use a coach. I don't use anything more than Strava or Garmin Connect to analyse anything. What I do, though, is make sure I'm delivering the power I want to deliver on my ride - whether that's training or pacing myself on an endurance ride. I find it particularly useful when the wind is up - I can get a really good sense of the work that I'm doing. I don't think there's any need to over-complicate this. And, who knows, the power meter might spur the OP on to do better things and spark his interest in doing more. And, should it turn out to be a mistake, flog it on eBay.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • smoggysteve
    nicklong wrote:
    Vector S. It's for around £600,
    Stages is also available for £599.

To reiterate you want to buy a 1k+ item

Eh? £600 isn't £1k+

I don't use a coach. I don't use anything more than Strava or Garmin Connect to analyse anything. What I do, though, is make sure I'm delivering the power I want to deliver on my ride - whether that's training or pacing myself on an endurance ride. I find it particularly useful when the wind is up - I can get a really good sense of the work that I'm doing. I don't think there's any need to over-complicate this. And, who knows, the power meter might spur the OP on to do better things and spark his interest in doing more. And, should it turn out to be a mistake, flog it on eBay.

Forget the price I was questioning his rationale of spending all that money 1k or 599 or whatever if he isnt sure if he has the time or commitment. If you think a power meter is a magic wand that will suddenly make you faster by looking at a wattage output instead of sticking to a proper training plan then you are fooling yourself. Im sure you may do yourself but the OP im doubtful
  • Forget the price I was questioning his rationale of spending all that money 1k or 599 or whatever if he isnt sure if he has the time or commitment. If you think a power meter is a magic wand that will suddenly make you faster by looking at a wattage output instead of sticking to a proper training plan then you are fooling yourself. Im sure you may do yourself but the OP im doubtful

Well, it's a noble aim but you could spend the rest of your life on here talking people out of buying that expensive bike/set of wheels/chainset/power meter/Garmin/shoes/tyres/jersey (delete as applicable).

Personally, I see no harm in it. A few years ago, after a particular rough patch, I bought myself a secondhand a Focus Cayo with the goal of reigniting my interest in cycling - it worked even though it wasn't really any quicker than my Variado. When I see a fat guy on a nice bike, I do think back to that and maybe that's what it took to get him on a bike. It's no skin off my nose.
  • smoggysteve
    Welcome to this thing called a forum where people ask a question and others give their opinion. Now I never said don't get one, I questioned someone spending money on something if they are not sure how much use they will get out of it.

If you want a question answered don't get arsey if you don't like the replies on a open to reply forum.
  • Welcome to this thing called a forum where people ask a question and others give their opinion. Now I never said don't get one, I questioned someone spending money on something if they are not sure how much use they will get out of it.

If you want a question answered don't get arsey if you don't like the replies on a open to reply forum.

I'm perfectly relaxed, Smoggy (in case you mistook me for someone that gives a stuff :wink: ) - I was just surprised that you picked this thread :lol:
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    If you don't know how to read the data or know how to use it to improve your performance then its money down the drain.
    Even elite riders need someone to tell them what the data means.

So which is it?

You don't seem to be giving the OP any helpful advice and are just having a dig because he dared to say he is considering buying a power meter. That's not what the forum is for.

Nick, in your situation I would be leaning strongly towards the Garmin. Too many stories of Stages reliability isues would put me off plus the crank mismatch would irk me too. Also, I am guessing you can add a RHS Garmin pedal at a later date, if you want to.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • nicklong wrote:
    Cheers. I think the Stages is out, I just now need to justify whether I have enough time to train to make use of the meter.

Thanks for the tip re: wide version needed with the SLK.

On the assumption that you don't have too much structure already in your training (i.e. you aren't already right at your potential - it's a fair assumption as not many people are) then with a proper structured training plan you'll be able to increase your threshold and 10 minute power without having to dedicate a lot of time to being on the bike. Good gains can be made by most with at least one steady 3-4 hour ride at the weekend and 2-3 hours of turbo intervals on top of a good aerobic base. Done right, with progressive overload built in and the right intensity at the right time good improvements can be made.

A power meter, or the data from it will also be very useful to analyse what type of rider you are and whether it is indeed 10 minute power that you will want to improve to maximise your chances of winning races but it might be something else. Data from a power meter and the knowledge to interpret it could give you those answers. As said above a coach could help you with that or it is possible to do it yourself if you have time to wade through a book or three and all the data you collect.
  • LinkD
    LinkD Posts: 30

If thats the case then what the hell is the point? Sounds like you are after one more as a fashion accessory. If you don't know how to read the data or know how to use it to improve your performance then its money down the drain. If you think it is just about pushing out wattage than you mistaken. Even elite riders need someone to tell them what the data means.[/quote]

While i can't deny you your supposed right to respond in any manner you wish to on an 'open to reply forum', I don't think you knocking his interest is at all helpful. If anything a power meter will help with pacing, and it also doesn't take a genius to apply your average wattage to a training programmes found online. But more importantly, who are you to question his commitment or whether he has the time - its his money, let him do what he wants with it :)
  • nicklong
    Blimey. Question me all you like, motivation is certainly not something in lacking, rather I'm trying to not leave an obvious stone unturned if it's stating at me straight in the face.

I am not at my potential but I don't have unlimited time to train, so yes, I am challenging myself as to whether i can justify the cost, hence the post. But if it helps me make the most of my training time then that is value for me.

I also would have thought that everyone goes through a "can I really justify this" process when spending a decent sum of money...
  • I went for the full vector system the ability to fix it to all my bikes without messing about was what sold it. Personally I would go for the full L&R system you can get new for under £900 if you look hard enough.

Some odd people on here. Scoff at someone willing to spend £600 on a power meter but seem to think its alright to spend £1000+ on a groupset or wheelset. You'd gain more out of a power meter than any of those even if you are just using it for general pacing.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    I personally know of 2 people who ve had their money back recently with the Garmin pedals, false readings or no readings, both these were after warranty replacements too, it took Garmin 2 or 3 years to develop this system, such are the complexities of mounting the strain gauges in the pedal and im not convinced they ve fixed the issues, but maybe the S is good to go? do you want to be the first to find out!

I know this anecdotal and they ll now be a host of people saying their vectors are perfect :)

also, the thing that puts me off pedal based systems is crash damage.

a new PT G3 can be had for not a lot more money than your £600.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I recently got an old new stock bargain powertap, it really has changed the way I ride and makes training far more straight forward. If anything it could save you time.
  • Wiggle are selling off some Powertaps at less than half price. It was never an option for me because one bike is disc and the other rim brakes so a hub-based solution isn't going to work. With road bikes increasingly being offered in disc version, a hub-based option looks less appealing. Conceptually, a pedal-based solution looks great - it's the practical considerations that make it less appealing.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Wiggle are selling off some Powertaps at less than half price. It was never an option for me because one bike is disc and the other rim brakes so a hub-based solution isn't going to work. With road bikes increasingly being offered in disc version, a hub-based option looks less appealing. Conceptually, a pedal-based solution looks great - it's the practical considerations that make it less appealing.

You are right, I got a little excited about the up coming CAAD 10 disc range, then realised I have too many wheels.
    For me a pedal based system would be really good as I swap between a track and road bike that have incompatible chainsets.

On the flip side, the powertap built onto an Archetype rim was £350. It's still compromised, can't use it on the track bike and may be a little heavy for racing but at nearly half the price, I couldn't say no. I'll inevitably move to a Stages v2 or 4iii or pedal based systems in the distant future.
  • Yes - having flip-flopped between various systems, I landed with the Stages and it does what I need it to given the wide range of compromises I needed to make - I guess I could even use it on the MTB (if only because I'm interested to see if the 2.5mm difference in crank length is noticeable rather than any particular need). Short of entering the Strathpuffer again (no thanks), I don't see a purpose in my MTB riding (before I get flamed :wink: )
  • cswitch
    cswitch Posts: 261
    Neither, I'd go with the Rotor LT. Loads of issues with the stages battery draining and issues with the Garmin alloy bit cracking though could be down to poor installation. Thing with pedals is they wear so seems a ball ache to have to overhaul them. Ive had a couple of Rotor powers and they subject to the odd drop in power when riding through the city, seems to be interference as it happens in the exact same places for about 10secs. However other than that they've been faultless. Greater value for money as you're getting a full crankset.
  • nicklong
    Well, I've bitten the bullet and placed an order for the Vector S pedals and a park tools torque wrench.

I've got a few set of wheels so didn't want to go the Powertap route. Will let you all know how they work out.