Shimano Deore XT SL-M770-10 front derailleur

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
edited November 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi All

Will the above work with both double and triple chain rings, the fella had it on a bike with a double set up, I know on the 780 there is a little switch so you can choose, nothing as I can see on this one.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No, if you look at a front mech it has steps in it to make the shifting better without rubbing, a double will never work with a triple, a triple can work with a double if you either using the first two rings from a triple (or similar enough) or you can play with the height and have some luck.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thank you for that info saves me some money and headaches :D
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I thought it was only on the shifter you had to select 2x, I've seen these on the xt shifters I have on my bike.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Read my reply above an it's clear what the issue is. The fact the shifter can run either is irrelevant to the front mech.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.