getting rear gear cable out of Ultegra 6700 shifter

ben-----
ben----- Posts: 573
edited November 2014 in Workshop
The rear inner gear cable in my Ultegra 6700 shifter has frayed - inside the shifter somewhere I think. I've shifted down all the way, I can see the nipple through the hole you're supposed to get it out of, but when I push the cable from the other end I can't move it, it's stuck, because of the fraying almost certainly. So I can't get at the nipple like that at the moment.

Before I realised you were supposed to shift right down (with the small lever that is) and get the nipple from that bottom hole I had the nipple visible and semi out, while shifted up, via another hole. Would it be OK/advisable does anyone think to get it back into that situation, where I have more access to the nipple through the hole you're not supposed to use, and cut the nipple off with pliers, then be able hopefully to pull out from other end? Is that a good or bad idea to get this frayed cable out? Or is the another method? Thanks.

Comments

• ben-----
    So basically, to put that more simply, I can't get the gear cable out of the rear gear shifter because, I think, it's frayed inside. What can I try? Thanks.
  • I've read both posts twice, and I still don't understand - sorry.
  • ben-----
    The gear cable inside the shifter has frayed. And because of that I can't get it out.

If it hadn't of frayed I'd be able to get it out because it would push out.

How can I get it out, in order to put a new one in?
  • Ah right, i'd be cutting the nippley thing and pulling it out - assuming you can see the nippley thing now.

Although if you can get pliers to the nippley thing, can you not clamp them on and pull it out that way...?
  • ben-----
    Following the instructions for how to access the cable in Shimano's leaflet…

…where it's marked "cable hole" I can see the nipple -- but it's right in there, totally inaccessible. Nothing to get hold of, even with pliers. Pushing on the cable from the other end doesn't budge it, doesn't make it move out at all.

But, before I realised I was supposed to access it via that little hole (in order to do so you have to shift to what would put the chain on the smallest cog - rear gears this is), I had it in this position/situation, with it shifted not to the smallest cog and with the cover removed:

And with it like that, accessing the gear cable end from the side of the shifter unit, rather than that little hole, I did have the cable a bit loose - like in that illustration, kind of out a bit. But I couldn't pull it any more, it was up against something quite hard, either because you're not supposed to take the cable out in that position or/and because of the fraying. So I didn't want to pull any harder for fear of doing damage.

I'm thinking, maybe, get it back into the situation where I can get at the nipple a bit better, from the side, cut the nipple off, shift back to what would be smallest cog, and try pulling cable from other end. Maybe?
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    ben----- wrote:
    Would it be OK/advisable does anyone think to get it back into that situation, where I have more access to the nipple through the hole you're not supposed to use, and cut the nipple off with pliers, then be able hopefully to pull out from other end? Is that a good or bad idea to get this frayed cable out? Or is the another method? Thanks.
    Yes, I would try this. You'll have much more power available trying to pull the cable out rather than push and the fraying is less likely to get hung up in the shifter when being pulled.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Really make sure that you have shifted all the way 'down'.
    Cut 6 inches of gear or even brake cable cleanly and try to poke the offending remaining bit of gear cable out.
    As you try maybe hold the gear paddle over as you give it some stick.
    Failing that, remove the shifter completely and sit with it watching Coronation Street with the shifter on a tray and hope for the best.
    It has to come out if you remain optimistic!
  • I think I know what you're problem is but without seeing it first hand and fiddling a bit I cannot say for sure what may work.

Maybe start by tying the lever back for access tape or a rubber band should do it, then you can have a good look and have two hands to fettle, probably need at least 3 though ;)

Do you have a very small screwdriver so that you can get in behind the nipple and raise it enough to get it with long nosed pliers?

Maybe you could drill a v small hole with dremel or similar and then put a self tapping screw into the nipple and then grab that with pliers.
  • @Ben

This kind of happened on my 105 shifters last year only my cable actually snapped, I was able to remove my cable through the Unit Cover. I think the resistance you are feeling when trying to remove the cable this way is the frayed cable. Even though the cable snapped, no frayed bits were left in the shifter.

You could try either of the following

* remove the cable from the rear mech (allowing the cable to loose its tension, then try shifting your lever into the lowest gear setting, then change the lever back to the highest gear while holding the cable firm to allow the end to come loose, cut the cable end off and remove it

* keep changing gears (while riding/in a workstand) and put pressure on the changes from low > high to snap the cable, it will then come out of the shifter nice and easy.
  • ben-----
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've now managed to get it out by cutting the nipple off and pulling from the other end. The cable was just a bit on the frayed side - one or two strands had gone. I acted as soon as I noticed gears playing up, but that wasn't soon enough. I suppose you should just change the cables regularly before they fray. The bike's done about 8000 miles. I suppose I should change the brake cables and the other gear cable before problems start with those.

I'm using Jagwire replacement ("Jagwire Gear & Brake Cable Kit"). Should I lube it at all, where its housed in outer cable? If so what with? Thanks.
  • I've started replacing my gear cables once a year, and my brake cables when they start to feel un-smooth.

You did well to get 8000miles out of the gear cable, mine only lasted 3100miles, but I do live in a very hilly area and change gear alot (especially when off road)

When I replaced my cables I went for the Jagwire racer gear set, I put a little dab of lube on the end of the cable but I don't think its needed when fitting a new cable.