A place where you can buy phenomenal coffee beans.

Comments

• Wrong time of the day... I only have one in the morning and possibly one after lunch at weekends.

For a real coffee there is only one place and that is Naples... anywhere outside Naples falls short in a way or another. They have the best roasts and the best water for the job

This! I spent a week in Naples earlier in the summer. Blew all my assumptions about coffee out of the water.

I like this stuff as well though http://www.almacuba.com/coffee
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    What about Illy? I don't know why it seems to be so highly rated.
  • Ian.B wrote:

Illy is good, used to be better when the company was smaller. It's too finely ground and jams my Moka though, so I no longer use it... too expensive as well... over 6 quid for a tin, I'm no Rockafella'
    left the forum March 2023
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    The tins are handy though ... so buy one occasionally and re-use the tin for other coffee ... :)
  • Ian.B wrote:

I love Illy - for something that you can grab in a supermarket just about anywhere and be sure if what you're getting it's great b
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Dragon Coffee do nice Vietnamese coffee.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    This is all you need.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I don't like coffee, but then I didn't like ale but I'm drinking an ale right now and looking at the 40 pints of homebrew I've got on the go.

Maybe my tastes will change and I won't think coffee is the vile emulsion of water and foul smelling mud.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    The real balsamic vinegar is not something you and I can afford, you are looking at maybe 100 Euro for a tiny bottle.
    €25 for the teeny weeny bottle I got (in Bergamo).
    Overpriced no doubt but a luxury that turned out to be worthwhile when used sparingly and appropriately.
    My justification was preparing a luxury dinner using the best ingredients at home instead of spending the same amount of money for an average meal in a restaurant.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I don't like coffee, but then I didn't like ale but I'm drinking an ale right now and looking at the 40 pints of homebrew I've got on the go.

Maybe my tastes will change and I won't think coffee is the vile emulsion of water and foul smelling mud.

but then dont you also worship satan?

...and drink shandy :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I've always favoured Lavazza Blue/Crema Y Gusto, despite its much higher robusta content. Not sure why, perhaps I am unsubtle at heart.

To the OP, try Established Coffee, Hill St, Near St Annes Cathedral. They're a bunch of hair farmers but they do amazing coffee.
  • I've tried that lavazza blue crema and its shocking, personally I find coffee with robusta content undrinkable
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:

No that's Starbucks mate
  • I don't mind admitting that I enjoy a Starbucks. The flagship store in Amsterdam has some especially good stuff
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    I don't mind admitting that I enjoy a Starbucks. The flagship store in Amsterdam has some especially good stuff

:?

Holland's one of the better places for normal coffee. Don't need to go to starfucks.

Kopje koffie is infinitely nicer.
  • I don't mind admitting that I enjoy a Starbucks. The flagship store in Amsterdam has some especially good stuff

:?

Holland's one of the better places for normal coffee. Don't need to go to starfucks.

Kopje koffie is infinitely nicer.

For sure but I also don't buy that Starbucks is all things evil in the coffee world. There are better places but I've also experienced far worse (NL included)
  • I've tried that lavazza blue crema and its shocking, personally I find coffee with robusta content undrinkable

To each their own. I can find pure Arabica a bit perfumed and watery by times, too.

To each their own. I can find pure Arabica a bit perfumed and watery by times, too.

I find Arabica to be full flavoured , smooth and balanced , on the contrary I find robusta to be spiky, bitter and very unpleasant indeed. One of the strongest and darkest roasts done by SD Bells is classic Italian which is very dark robusta with the most godawful stench and I definitely think that stuff is an acquired taste and then some.

Those who prefer a coffee that they could use to tarmac their driveway with should go to youtube and watch how to make a traditional cup of Turkish coffee using the proper equipment, that stuff you could literally turn the cup upside down and nothing would come out.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    edited November 2014
    I find Arabica to be full flavoured , smooth and balanced

You'll enjoy a Starbucks too then :wink:
  • EKE_38BPM
    itboffin wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

but then dont you also worship satan?

...and drink shandy :roll:
    Eh? I worship nothing/no-one (except MrsEKE obviously) and I've never been a shandy drinker.

We need Xmas drinks to clarify my drinking habits. If we really organise ourselves we might get it together for our 2013 Xmas drnks before 2014 ends!

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    We need Xmas drinks to clarify my drinking habits. If we really organise ourselves we might get it together for our 2013 Xmas drnks before 2014 ends!
    Yes, but in a pub not a f@cking Starbucks.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Veronese68 wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Yes, but in a pub not a f@cking Starbucks.
    Ooh, a pub?! Now, there's an idea.

As a former hot chocolate drinker, I can say with no hint of equivocation that Starbucks is crap.

• Those who prefer a coffee that they could use to tarmac their driveway with should go to youtube and watch how to make a traditional cup of Turkish coffee using the proper equipment, that stuff you could literally turn the cup upside down and nothing would come out.

Some find Turkish coffee a delicacy... I find it revolting, like drinking a cup of mud.
    I've never been to South America, so can't speak for that, but in Europe it's either Italy or some selected spots in Spain... anywhere else is pretty grim TBH. I'm somewhat surprised the French never managed to master the art of making coffee... stubborn as they are they even like the crap they brew!
    left the forum March 2023
  • Some find Turkish coffee a delicacy... I find it revolting, like drinking a cup of mud.
    I've never been to South America, so can't speak for that, but in Europe it's either Italy or some selected spots in Spain... anywhere else is pretty grim TBH. I'm somewhat surprised the French never managed to master the art of making coffee... stubborn as they are they even like the crap they brew!

With you on Turkish coffee - foul brew with no redeeming features.

As for coffee in Italy, I was in Rome for a week recently and I was SO looking forward to the coffee but I was really disappointed by at least half the espressos I was served. I think Europe is becoming more homogenised when it comes to food and coffee - you have to be careful everywhere but you can also find good food and coffee everywhere if you look hard enough.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Can anyone recommend a mail-order bean outfit with next day delivery? Need some good beans for a weekend gift.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    DrLex wrote:
    Can anyone recommend a mail-order bean outfit with next day delivery? Need some good beans for a weekend gift.
    Pact Coffee are good
    https://www.pactcoffee.com/spread/duncan-zaybva@em

First bag for a quid, and no commitment to buy any more than 1 bag

(I get a referral bonus I think)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Duncan,
    Appreciate that, and if I wanted a regular supply, it seems ideal. However, this is a gift, so just want 4-5 packs in one hit.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    DrLex wrote:
    Duncan,
    Appreciate that, and if I wanted a regular supply, it seems ideal. However, this is a gift, so just want 4-5 packs in one hit.
    Drop them an email, they're a small outfit so might do you 4-5 different bags and ship the next day still
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    Some find Turkish coffee a delicacy... I find it revolting, like drinking a cup of mud.
    I've never been to South America, so can't speak for that, but in Europe it's either Italy or some selected spots in Spain... anywhere else is pretty grim TBH.

With you on Turkish coffee - foul brew with no redeeming features.

I think Greek/Turkish coffee is a very different animal to the coffee that most people expect to drink. It's extremely aromatic in a way that normal coffee is not. That isn't to say regular coffee isn't any less appealing, they're just different things. A bit like comparing apples to oranges.

I've also partook in coffee drinking in Asia, which again is a bit different if you like your coffee sweet (loads of condensed sugar - like treacle).

Despite this, I'll never forget being laughed at by an old Granny in a Venice coffee shop for ordering a Latte with my breakfast whilst she was supping her espresso. It was nice though...
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    I've pretty much settled on the Waitrose branded mix... at 3.69 a tin is good value and excellent quality. Expensive beans are often over-roasted.

Being Italian I don't need fancy pressure machines to make an awesome coffee, 30+ years experience allow me to make creamed espresso with no pressure, but you unskilled folks with the wrong gene-pool should get one instead... 8)
    How do you make espresso without pressure - isn't that what makes it an espresso?