Rockshox Gold TK30 lockout problem

Sprool
Sprool Posts: 1,022
edited November 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Been out for a pretty muddy wet ride today over some rough slimey downhills, when I got back and cleaned and relubed the bike I put a bit more air in the front fork as it felt a bit too soggy, and I then found the lockout was not working. It's a Rockshox gold 30 tk air on a Boardman team HT 650b. Never had an issue before - turn lockout on and you only get about 5-10mm of cushioned travel, turn it off and you get 80 - 100mm travel. Now with lockout engaged I get about 80mm of travel though its perhaps a little more resistant travel than when the lockout is off.
Is this something I can fix myself?
Anyone have any advice or experience of resolving this?

Comments

• bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    If you pump the fork a bit or lift the fork up does it engage?

I had an issue when i didn't have enough air in my recon gold where the fork wouldn't actually sit high enough to engage the lockout - i had to bunny hop it to get it to engage (this is cos i'm only 7-8 stone). It has however worked perfectly since i upped the pressure above 75psi ish (mine are 120mm)..

Hope this helps :)

bob6397
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • Sprool
    I tried bumping up and down on the fork 20 times (read a previous post) but it doesn't seem to help engage it. Maybe worth letting the air pressure out and pumping up again to see if it changes owt?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Do you actually use the lockout? It is a bit crude on the fork.
  • Sprool
    yep i use it on really steep bits when I'm tired and have to get out of the saddle to pedal uphill. You say it may be crude but It worked fine last week, I want to know why its not working now and how to get it back again!
    (120mm travel, I've got 80psi on mine, I weigh 80kg)
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Probably a blown seal/o-ring in the damper, if its under two years old it should be a warranty issue, if not a moco (Motion Control) damper service kit will be required.
  • Sprool
    Only had the bike 3 months, doesn't sound like a quick repair job for me then :(
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Crude as in do this quite often ;-)

I'd send them back.
  • Sprool
    its back with the bike shop now, keeping her in overnight.
    [edit] forks gone back to have the seals replaced, a week with mo mtb :(