Racer on a Budget

iron-clover
iron-clover Posts: 737
edited November 2014 in Your road bikes
This is my dependable 2011 Trek 1.1 from the very end of the season before an Open Hillclimb, which was probably its Swansong before racing retirement.
It started life as an entry level machine from Christmas/ New Year's week sale at my LBS to be my first real road bike nearly 4 years ago, and has evolved as I have worn components out and desired better quality as my ambitions increased.
last_hurrah_by_iron_clover-d85ot53.jpg

Every moving part has been completely replaced, with Ultegra BB, Tiagra chainset/ front mech and a new Claris rear derailleur. However, the frame and forks at the heart of the machine remain unchanged over the years, and doesn't seem to give the unforgiving ride you may expect from a completely alloy machine.
The wheels pictured are 38mm carbon Tubs shod with with 22C Vittoria Corsas that arrived from another forum member in the week before its last HC, bringing it down to its lowest ever weight of 8kg. Its regular race wheels were Open Pro rims laced to Hope hubs.

If all goes to plan I'll be acquiring a more advanced machine to take over racing duties for the next season, although an upgrade to 10spd is finally on the horizon for this bike as it continues weekly training/ riding duties. I can't imagine ever selling this bike on now after everything its carried me through.