Long(ish) Shorts

jimothy78
jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
edited November 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all - looking for recommendations for baggy shorts. I'm looking for 3/4 length (or knee-length "standard" shorts) that can be had for less than £60 including liners (or £45-ish without).

I know a lot of folks recommend the Humvees, which satisfy the above criteria, but I'm just wondering if there's anything else I should be considering? In an ideal world I'd like something water-resistant, or at least with a water-resistant back panel, but not if it means going over budget.

thanks in advance, Jim

Comments

• A touch over budget but really comfortable

http://www.bontrager.com/model/11513
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • jimothy78
    A touch over budget but really comfortable

http://www.bontrager.com/model/11513

Not many stockists for them - guessing they're a few years out of production?
  • These are new for the fall. Would need to speak to a Trek dealer I expect.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    For 60 quid you could just buy a set of G Form knee pads and wear them with normal length shorts - knee protection, warmth combined and I hate overly long shorts when pedaling.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • jimothy78
    For 60 quid you could just buy a set of G Form knee pads and wear them with normal length shorts - knee protection, warmth combined and I hate overly long shorts when pedaling.
    Not sure if you've understood me - I actually NEED an extra pair of shorts and liners. I specified longer ones because all my existing ones are on the short side.
  • Go for humvee .
  • Hummvee inc liner are less than your £45 budget without liner, and they are brilliant. I got the 3/4 from CRC for less than £40 in an Endura 10% off sale a few weeks ago along with a voucher I had and i cant tell you how pleased I am with them.

I'm even going to take the liner out and use them as normal shorts for the summer in a kind of 2 for 1 usage deal as they look good when worn normally!

Get some, you wont regret it.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Another vote for Humvees. Just be careful or sizing as I'm a 34" in jeans but XL in the Enduras. They are supposed to be baggy after all :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • jimothy78
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Another vote for Humvees. Just be careful or sizing as I'm a 34" in jeans but XL in the Enduras.

Yes, I'd read that they come up a size too small, which is strange, because one of my other pairs of short are Endura Zyme, and they measure up at least one size too big.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    jimothy78 wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Another vote for Humvees. Just be careful or sizing as I'm a 34" in jeans but XL in the Enduras.

Yes, I'd read that they come up a size too small, which is strange, because one of my other pairs of short are Endura Zyme, and they measure up at least one size too big.

I've read a few similar tales, people with Endura stuff that is too small for a given size, and then people with stuff that's too big! It's like Endura measure size by eye or something! Just goes to show it's always good to ask if you can't try them on!
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • GBW Fusion Shorts are half price in the TG Store Outlet Section at the moment...Come down just below the knees and have good seat padding. One pence within the budget aswell!

What size are you mate? :)
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    roryo07 wrote:
    GBW Fusion Shorts are half price in the TG Store Outlet Section at the moment...Come down just below the knees and have good seat padding. One pence within the budget aswell!

Good shorts those - nice and lightweight. A bit snug in their sizing though - Endura like. Or maybe that's just me....
  • GrenW wrote:
    roryo07 wrote:
    GBW Fusion Shorts are half price in the TG Store Outlet Section at the moment...Come down just below the knees and have good seat padding. One pence within the budget aswell!

Good shorts those - nice and lightweight. A bit snug in their sizing though - Endura like. Or maybe that's just me....

They are snug yes...All the soft shell garments i have are a bit like that though. They fit quite slim as well...light design is great for versatility :)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Endura MT500. I got a pair from Evans last week for £45. I use Humvees as well but prefer MT500's