Installing new brakes

roubaixtom
roubaixtom Posts: 316
edited November 2014 in Workshop
Hi,

Took delivery of some new 105 brakes on Friday. I have fitted them however even with my torque wrench i can't seem to get them tight. The brakes are still easily moved side to side. The washer is different to the brakes that came with the bike should i use the original washers?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Tom

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Are you using the correct length of tubular securing nut? New calipers are usually supplied with at least 3 different length tubular shaped Allen nuts. These are designed to cope with different fork crown widths and seat stay bridges.

The caliper pivot fixing bolt only has a finite length of thread so you need to select the right length of nut to make sure you are not running out of thread before the fixing is tight enough to stop the movement you describe.

If your old brakes came with a specific washer then that may have been there to compensate for a fork crown that was narrower than standard. Swap that washer over and give it a try - again selecting the right length of tubular nut for the job.
  • lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    Don't wish to sound rude but make sure you don't mix up front & rear as they usually have different length mounts?
  • Front and rear are where they are ment to be. I have tightend to atound 8nm I have tried a longer nut on the front than the origional and it all seems tigt and secure. Thanks for your help