Rockshox damper

Paulkingk
Paulkingk Posts: 689
edited November 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Ok so I have a Sid Rl29 with poplock (The shit remote that seizes) so this has been removed and fork set to the open position with the gear cable bodge which has worked fine. However whist servicing the lowers today I decided to take the damper from a sid race 2010 fork with crown lock out and switch them over. This now means I have lock out on the 29er again. The oil difference on the two damper systems is about 12ml. the DNA poplock motion control needed 106ml the old sid race motion control damper needed 96ml what difference would this make to the damping if say i ran it with the small oil amount over the larger one?

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Too little oil will leave it under-damped - likely to dive uncontrollably.
    Too much oil will limit the available travel.

I'm not sure, but I assume the quantity of oil needed is some function of total volume of the cavity in which the damper circuit sits, minus and the volume occupied by the damper hardware itself. Could be a bit hit-and-miss working out whether you need the bigger volume, the smaller one, or something in between....
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    edited November 2014
    Would go with 106ml, let all the air out and check that your able to achieve full travel, if not remove 10ml.

I think the volumes are plus or minus 5ml anyway so you have a bit of leeway.

Edit: It's actually plus or minus 3ml.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Dirtydog11 wrote:
    I think the volumes are plus or minus 5ml anyway so you have a bit of leeway.

Where did you find that information? The manual for my Revelation (also with DNA MoCo damper) states "oil levels are critical" and goes on to stress the importance of precise measures for the reasons stated in my response above.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Where did you find that information?

2011 SID technical manual, it's also mentioned in the 2011 Revelation manual.

here

Just to clarify it's actually plus or minus 3ml.

Fork Oil Volume
    *(±3 mL)*
    Argyle RCT 120 mL
    Reba RL, RLT 123 mL
    Reba RLT Ti 133 mL
    Recon Gold RL 133 mL
    Revelation RL, RLT 123 mL
    Revelation RLT Ti, WC 133 mL
    Sektor RL (Solo Air 130 -150 mm) 130 mL
    Sektor RL (Coil U-Turn 150 mm) 125 mL
    Sektor RL (Coil U-Turn 140 mm) 125 mL
    Sektor RL (Coil U-Turn 130 mm) 120 mL
    SID RLT (100 mm) 94 mL
    SID RLT Ti, WC (100 mm) 96 mL
    SID RLT, RLT Ti, WC (120 mm) 106 mL
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you under fill it, you tend to get a lot more travel when locked.