Solo europe tour buying advice.

Breedle
Breedle Posts: 7
edited November 2014 in MTB buying advice
Im planing a 4/5k tour next spring. looking to get a 29er, my budget is around 1000. The best one ive seen is the boardman pro hardtail, can anyone tell me if im on the the right track for the money. Alot of my freinds have told my to get a hybrid, but i dont want to compromise when it does get a bit roughf.

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Where and what are you planning to ride?
  • This might be of some interest to you, my brother in law rode around the USA and Canada.

http://dog-solitude.blogspot.co.uk/

He's planning to go to Asia next year, not sure if it's all going to be cycling or not.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You don't want to compromise when it's gets a bit rough but are happy to compromise the whole of the rest of the time on Tarmac?

A friend did a 3.5K tour of Europe last year going across to the very east, he used a classic touring bike, dropped bars, relaxed geometry, wider tyres (38mm), all worked well for him.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Considerations:

What are you carrying with you - do you need rack mounting points? Disc brakes make rack fitting harder, most modern MTB frames dont have traditional rack mounting points.

What are you riding on (terrain) - do you need suspension or would a rigid bike work?

Do you plan to tour constantly or stop and ride the local area then move on in which case it may be worth considering a Yak or Bob trailer to ditch at your stop points.

Ease of service - you dont want any freakish parts that you might struggle to get parts for.

I did a little touring in England and Europe years back and as we were on road/canal paths we went with rigid mtb's with slicks and a rear rack. My mate is just returning from his second round the world (different routes) and he is using a Ridgeback touring bike with bull horn style bars and canti brakes and a rear rack. Long distance touring off road you need a sturdy wheel set to deal with the terrain and load especially at the rear and I'd be looking at high volume easy rolling tyres. I'd want a hardtail for sure and there are some good frame/seat post mounted baggage systems around (at a price).
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Hardtail for sure, with air forlks preff around 11kg. Tyers, conti travel contact. Going to be taking around 6/8 kg of luggage on the panier and 3kg on my back. My route will include as much off road as poss, rivers, cannels, forests, not forgeting the piraneese, alps and forests of southern france. Ive tested a few bikes the one i feel most comfortable on is the boardman pro 29er. Im only going to be doing around 30miles a day so i dont want a road/hybrid. Im quite happy at 12/15 mph.
  • paul.skibum
    The boardman is about 12.5kg so bit over your stated weight. Should do the job fine but you will need to research the right rack for the rear. I'd try and lose weight of your back for prolonged riding and stick to water bottles on the bike and maybe a bar bag for essentials.

Any other option over the Boardman is only going to be more expensive so there seems little point suggesting anything else aside from second hand or build your own. Sounds like an enviable adventure - best of luck!
  • I think im proberly going to make a custom rack, for peace of mind. Can anyone tell me the best route planner on line for europe.
  • The Rookie
    The Boardman weight is without pedals, so nearer 13Kg....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • paul.skibum
    These guys make some of the best racks around and have mounting options for different frames and set ups. My mates has seen him round the world twice but my old Topeak was fine for 2 weeks in Austria and Germany on smooth enough terrain.

Mapping? No clue. The French OS equivalents are good for detail local mapping but to plan the whole route....no idea
  • These guys make some of the best racks around and have mounting options for different frames and set ups. My mates has seen him round the world twice but my old Topeak was fine for 2 weeks in Austria and Germany on smooth enough terrain.

Mapping? No clue. The French OS equivalents are good for detail local mapping but to plan the whole route....no idea

Nice. There racks look great, i think the bike is 12.1 with the plastic peddles, ive got some carbon ones, plus im going to change the handle bars to carbon, possibly headset.

Not realy going to bother with planning a route road by road, track ect. Its going to be down the west coast of france galacia portugal gibrolta granarda ebrue andora monaco genever holland harwich home. As much green as i can even if it means not going in a strait line so to speak. If i get lost ill use a compass. :?

The only other thing i cant find at the moment is a solar pannel and portable battery charger for camarra, gps, tablet. Going to be doing alot of camping. Still looking for a decent bike app.
  • paul.skibum
    I am just going to say, your spelling is atrocious.
    :wink:
  • thanks tiny phone and cold fingers. You best lock me up officer. :P
  • The Rookie
    And the excuse for not using capitals is.......

I'd consider a CX bike perhaps?
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    I did 2k touring France via Pyrenees to Spain, across to Portugal on Specialized Hardrock with rear rack.
    I put slick tyres. It did the job.
    I would not take a super-duper high end high spec bike for touring as it may get nicked very easy.

I would consider road bike/proper touring with comfy riding position or hybrid.

Chris