Good value road bike tyres

Elijah2010
Elijah2010 Posts: 56
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,I normally use continental grand prix 4000s ,but at £68 poundsa pair they are not cheap,especially if like me you are on a budget.My question is.....is there a better value set of tyres that roll well,and have good puncture protection that don't break the bank? Please can anyone help me ?....regards...Paul

Comments

• Michelin Pro4 Endurance.
  • Michelin Pro4 Endurance.

I've tried these as an alternative to contis and the defo wear better but I found them worse for grip in the wet. I reckon you get what you pay for with tyres and contis and the like are dearer but better.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    If you are on a tight budget you will probably have to accept some compromises. Michelin Lithion 2 and Vittoria Rubino Pro III may be worth a look.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,110
    The Vittoria's have so much drag they make you feel like your towing breeze blocks.

Conti gatorskins: £48.75 for the pair -

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... onttyrf201

Conti Grand Prix's £35.95 for the pair -

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... onttyrf291

Conti Ultra sport £24.95 for the pair -

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... onttyrf231

...and the Michelin's at Ribble are a great price at the moment. I would prefer tyre's with tread ^ at this time of year though.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Open paves
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Cal's suggestion drives us back to the old chestnut of defining value!

At the moment, best value in terms of a really decent tyre at an affordable price rests with Michelin Pro 4. I've tried the service course and was very impressed. I presume the endurance version is a bit heavier and harder wearing but must say I found the sc to be fine with less p*ncture issues than the GP4000s.

Peter
  • The Vittoria's have so much drag they make you feel like your towing breeze blocks.

I'm willing to accept that some people find Rubinos wet grip an issue but they definitely aren't slow (either that or I deliver awesome power). I can neither measure not sense any difference between them and GP4000S for speed. To then go on to suggest Gators is funny - Rubinos beat Gators in every department. I used to commute on Gators (30 miles RT on mostly Highland country roads) but then my Volagi came equipped with Rubinos so I thought I'd try them. They are measurably quicker, better puncture resistance and cheaper (not to mention a much nicer ride). Both tyres are equally criticised for their wet grip (never had a problem with either).

Tread makes absolutely no difference - unless you're talking about riding on CX tyres.
    Open paves

Lovely grippy tyres but not cheap. I think I paid £35 ea for my last ones
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • pinno
    Guess I am a bit bias. I had a pair of Vittoria twin treads and hated them. perhaps I am generating 50 kg's per watt!

I ride Michelins on the summer scaffolding and Conti's on the winter steeds. I think puncture resistance boils down to chance. Whatever I ride, I get an average of 3 a year - down from an average of 5 or 6 after using latex.
  • I had gatorskins for a long while, but had absolutely no confidence in them in the wet. They really were skittish. They always seemed half-deflated, despite beng fully inflated. Switched to Schwalbe Duranos. MUCH better. Free with a subscription to cyclist magazine at the time. They look like about £25 a tyre from the usual suspects, but PBK are doing a pair plus tubes for under £50.
  • Schwalbe all the way!
    I'm not going to curse myself by saying when my last puncture was...
  • pinno
    CptKernow wrote:
    Schwalbe all the way!
    I'm not going to curse myself by saying when my last puncture was...

Are you riding them tubeless?
  • woo1
    woo1 Posts: 51
    I'm thinking of changing my tires, I had Schwalbe's with no issues, but wanted an upgrade to Continental grand prix 4000s and within a month I had cuts on them, so replaced them with the 4000 II and they are no better. I came back from a ride yesterday and my rear had been slashed to pieces. I don't know if it was all bad luck or because they are lighter, they are weaker ?
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Guanajuato wrote:
    I had gatorskins for a long while, but had absolutely no confidence in them in the wet. They really were skittish. They always seemed half-deflated, despite beng fully inflated. Switched to Schwalbe Duranos. MUCH better. Free with a subscription to cyclist magazine at the time. They look like about £25 a tyre from the usual suspects, but PBK are doing a pair plus tubes for under £50.

I found the exact same thing. More expensive Contis are fine but I hated the gator skins.

I tend to stick to Michelin these days.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • pinno
    woo1 wrote:
    I'm thinking of changing my tires, I had Schwalbe's with no issues, but wanted an upgrade to Continental grand prix 4000s and within a month I had cuts on them, so replaced them with the 4000 II and they are no better. I came back from a ride yesterday and my rear had been slashed to pieces. I don't know if it was all bad luck or because they are lighter, they are weaker ?

I ride Conti GP 4000's and the roads around here are atrocious but with I have no major problems. I do use latex inner tubes and if the gen on tubeless is that the tyre deforms better over a rough surface/sharp object then maybe the same is for tyres with latex tubes to a certain degree.
    FWIW, I ride Michelin's in summer. As I am light, I never ride the tyres (25mm front and 25mm rear) never more than 90psi. Maybe that is a factor too.

Perhaps you were unlucky? The rain recently has made some country lanes around here like a cyclocross event.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I have Schwalbe Luganos on my winter bike and simply cant fault them. They roll well, have good grip and excellent puncture resistance, I keep them inflated to 95psi on the rear and 90psi on the front (I'm 75kg) anything higher and the ride becomes quite jarring. I have Michelin Pro4 SC's on my summer bike and they are on a par for puncture resistance with the Luganos but they roll faster and are 50g lighter, wet grip with them is also excellent. I fitted a set of Rubino Pro Slicks on my winter bike but found them scary in the wet and so re-fitted the Luganos. I got approx 3500kms from the first set of Luganos i had before the rear tyre flattened along the centre line. If i had been on the ball I should have rotated them every so often and could probably got 6000+ kms from them, theyre very cheap, foldable, easy to get on fulcrum, mavic and shimano/Pro wheels and will be my staple winter tyre from now on, i think.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    MugenSi

Reading your notes, it appears that you rate the Pro4's higher than the Lugano's on grip and roll quality; equal on p*ncture resistance. Given that they can be bought for little more than £20, why not just use them all year round, possibly opting for the endurance model if longevity is a factor?

Peter
  • Luganos must have improved a lot in the last 3-4 years. They're the tyre that came with both of my Focus bikes and they'd puncture at least once a month. And, if they work for you, that's great. You don't have to read too many of these tyre threads to find that people's experiences vary widely.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I'd recommend the Michelin Lithion, great rolling tyre, lightweight, no puncture problems in 1000 miles(ish), would recommend them for a cheaper tyre.
  • Another vote for Pro4 Endurance. Not getting the comment about better wet grip from Contis. I find the Michelin just as confidence inspiring in the wet (against GP4S - both in 25mm size) and find the slightly larger volume of the Michelin that bit more comfortable (5psi lower pressures with no issues) and roll just as well.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • went for the pro4,s endurance in the end after reading all your coments on them, managed to get a pair from ribble for 45 quid so saved 23 pounds on the conti,s . thanks for all your good advice cheers paul.
  • pinno
    Elijah2010 wrote:
    went for the pro4,s endurance in the end after reading all your coments on them, managed to get a pair from ribble for 45 quid so saved 23 pounds on the conti,s . thanks for all your good advice cheers paul.

I wonder of Ribble will send me a commission...
  • Neil_aky
    Neil_aky Posts: 211
    Michelin Lithion 2 are a great tyre - they always come out really well in reviews, have better grip than many you will get recommended here and I have never had a puncture with them. Really good value.
  • I've had a pair of lithions on for the past month, good prices on 25's out there and roll OK enough for the winter. Took a BIG hit on a pot hole last night and didn't give any cause for concern.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I'd add a shout for Michelin Lithions - a very decent winter/training tyre.

My favourite tyre used to be the Schwalbe Stelvios - thought they were excellent. Had all sorts of tyre cracking problems with the Ultremos so gone off Schwalbe a little bit.
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    Check out what Panaracer have to offer, I've used the predecessor to their Catalyst tyre (Stradius Sport) and found them hard-wearing and hence good value. Can be had for £30 a pair and their higher-end tyres, while being at least double that cost, also last long too.

I've had other tyres free with complete bike purchases the last couple years but given the choice I always end up going back to Panaracer once the stock tyres have worn out.